Sunday, September 6, 2009

Mansfield Park (1983) and Update

This adaptation encouraged me to read Mansfield Park the first time I watched it...I got through one chapter and that was it! Though, it is still a goal.

I actually enjoyed this adaptation. This is how I pictured Fanny and Edmund and Henry and Mary Crawford. Lady Bertram was very idle while petting and holding her pug all day on the sofa. Mrs. Norris was quite the devil. It was a bit dry, but I think that's just how they were made in the 80s! And I enjoyed this one a lot better than the most recent version.

Here's some interesting trivia:

The sheer brown gown with red and blue dots Jackie Smith-Wood (Mary Crawford) wears discussing the play is the same gown Christina Cole (Caroline Bingley) wears playing cards at Netherfield Hall in "Lost in Austen" (2008).

Update:

I am now officially done with eleven of my twelve for the Everything Austen Challenge!

Read/watched on my list:
  1. Pride and Prejudice (1995)
  2. Intimations of Austen by Jane Greensmith
  3. Sense and Sensibility (2008)
  4. Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler
  5. Pride and Prejudice: A Latter-day Comedy (2003)
  6. The Confession of Fitzwilliam Darcy by Mary Street
  7. Persuasion (2007)
  8. Emma (1996 Miramax)
  9. Rude Awakenings of a Jane Austen Addict by Laurie Viera Rigler
  10. Sense and Sensibility (1995)
  11. Pride and Prejudice (2005)
Still to read on my list:
  1. Mr. Darcy, Vampyre by Amanda Grange. I am number eight on the hold list at my library, so I'm waiting with anticipation!
Read/Reading/Watched not on my list!
  1. Lost in Austen (TV 2008)
  2. Persuasion (1997)
  3. Jane Austen For Dummies by Joan Klingel Ray
  4. Mansfield Park (2007)
  5. Emma (TV 1996)
  6. Northanger Abbey (2007)
  7. Bride and Prejudice (2004)
  8. Pride and Prejudice (1980)
  9. Pride and Prejudice (1940)
  10. Clueless (1995)
  11. Miss Austen Regrets (TV 2008)
  12. Mansfield Park (1983)
  13. The Private Diary of Mr. Darcy by Maya Slater- Currently reading!
I'm having so much fun with this challenge! Thanks again to Stephanie at the Written Word for hosting it!

I thought I should add as a disclaimer that I don't have TV channels and I have a 7 month old son and so while taking care of him throughout the day I put on my Austen movies! Because as I glance back over this list it really looks like I have nothing better to do than watch these movies and have no life! he he!

Part of the Everything Austen Challenge.

13 comments:

  1. Oh, now you're just showing off on the Austen challenge! I have got to get a hold of some of the BBC versions of Austen's books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I miss those days when my babies where little and I could watch movies while I was caring for them. Now they want the tv for themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I'm impressed. I am nowhere near done with the Austen Challenge. I have one more book to finish for the original list I read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, congrats! I don't think I'm even halfway finished with mine. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW -- you go girl! I have only watched the movie P&P w/Colin Firth, of course. P&P&Zombies is next week (have to read my bookclub one first).

    Mansfield Park was my least favorite of the Austen books. As much as I like P&P, I think S&S was my favorite movie--liked both versions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. yay! for you! i'm still working through mansfield park. i want to finish it before watching my movie versions. now that zombie week is over i can get back to everything austen until pirates invade my mind. ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. The only thing that makes the most recent adaptation of Mansfield Park watchable is Blake Ritson as Edmund. So adorable! Haha, I've only read one chapter of the book as well. It's on my list, and I am determined to finish it!

    I still have to read Mr. Darcy, Vampyre too. I think I will read that one before Mansfield Park.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That picture. Is that guy supposed to be ah, cute? English men, good grief! (Except for Jude Law. He's super cute)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, and Gwen Stefani's husband too, Gavin whats-his-name --- insert deep sigh here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow your Austen Challenge is coming on a treat!!

    I think I could borrow your disclaimer LOL! I watch very little TV and just have my Austens playing too!

    Think my son is going to think Mr Darcy is his other daddy.;P

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't seen this version of Mansfield Park yet - I've 2 versions on DVD and love them both. Billie Piper plays an unconventional Austen heroine but I still think she did well.

    Fanny Price is one of my favourite characters. I've said before that I want to be Elizabeth Bennet but am Fanny Price and I still think it's true.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yes, my list has grown quite a bit...and I figured I get as many as I can in during the whole six months! It's a great excuse for all things Austen.

    ReplyDelete
  13. After viewing the 1983 version of "MANSFIELD PARK", I have come to the conclusion that there is not a version of this story that I truly like.

    The 1999 version is too over-the-top for my tastes. The 2007 is nothing more than a B-movie version of the tale. And this 1983 miniseries is exhausting and dull, with a semi-talented actress in the lead.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.