Saturday, September 19, 2009

How To Be Talkin' Like a Pirate, Arrrr!


I be wishin' all me fellow bloggers a happy International Talk Like a Pirate Day, arrrr! Tis me wish that ye all ha'e fun bein' swashbucklers dis day!

Here be some fun ways to be soundin' as pirates dis day:

Greetings n' Partings:
  1. ahoy as in Ahoy, me maties!
  2. By your leave as in By your leave, sweet lady!
  3. Fair dreams atten' ye!
  4. Good luck t'ye n' a fair wind- a parting used to wish another well.
Commands
  1. bring to stop or halt "Bring to! Bring to for a queen's officer, or you shall all hang!"
  2. Clap a stopper on yer eyes! Stop crying. "So clap a stopper on your eyes, or I'll give you something to cry for!"
Threats
  1. Death n' damnation shall be yers!
  2. I a'e a pistol n' a brace o' balls ready fer ye!
  3. I'll come aboard o' ye n' gut ye upon yer own poop!
Oaths
  1. Blimey- a sound alike for blind me.
  2. Blow me scuttle-butt! (scuttle-butt is a cask aboard a vessel used to store the day's supply of drinking water).
  3. Gut me for a preacher- An oath that sets out both a gruesome fate (implying that the speaker is willing to be disemboweled if his statement proves false) and an absurd proposition (implying that the notion that the speaker might be a preacher is as absurd or shocking or noteworthy as the subject of his current comment).
Insults or epithets
  1. The blood in yer veins be skim milk!
  2. I leave it t'fancy where yer mothers was that let ye come t'sea! An insult that indicts both the addressee's competence as a seaman and his mother's virtue (by suggestion that she may have been where she wasn't supposed to be).
Wrong Talk
  1. Replace the first-person verb with third person- know to knows
  2. Replace the past tense verb with present either singular or plural.
  3. Replace an adverb with an adjective.
  4. Use lots of double negatives!
  5. Use malapropisms for comic effect! (One thing ol' Blackbeard don't take kindly to it's them sort of insinuendos.)
May ye ride t'winds with t'love o' pirates on yer heart this day! Grrr!
All sources are from The Pirate Primer by George Choundas

8 comments:

  1. Good to know! I'm going to have to try cheering during the football game in piratesse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has been fun reading your posts.
    I must admit, Pirate talk has my head spinning. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. and me mug is raised to salute the day! happy talk like a pirate day to ye! ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Death and Damnation shall be yers! is definitely going to be my new curse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "I'll come aboard o' ye n' gut ye upon yer own poop!"

    Yikes, matey...and shiver me timbers!

    Good stuff -- I will find a place to save this always useful info.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the cool post...unfortunately pirate speak is too hard for me I'll leave that up to you, the professional!!! ;-)

    XOXO~ Renee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that is so cool! I so want to be a pirate wench! Or is it female pirate? Either way, it's all cool!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.