Monday, September 21, 2009

Movie Review: Jane Austen Book Club

Jane Austen Book Club (2007): Based on the book by Karen Joy Fowler

Director: Robin Swicold

Genre: Drama, Romance

Tagline: You don't have to know the books to be in the club.

Summary:
Explores Austen's adage that general incivility is at love's essence. Sylvia's husband dumps her for another woman, so Bernadette and Jocelyn organize a book club to distract her. They recruit Sylvia's daughter Allegra; Prudie, a young teacher whose marriage may be on the rocks; and Grigg, a sci-fi fan who joins out of attraction to Jocelyn. The six read and discuss one Austen novel per month. Jocelyn tries to interest Grigg in Sylvia; Allegra falls in love with a woman she meets skydiving; Prudie contemplates an affair with a student; Sylvia's ex keeps popping up. In the discussions, characters reveal themselves in their comments. By the end, are truths universally acknowledged?
My review: I first watched this movie when it first came out and was undecided. It wasn't my favorite. But I decided to watch it again after hearing some glowing reviews from my fellow Austen Challengers. I'm really glad I did! I really enjoyed seeing how six completely different people could find a way to relate to all of Austen's books. I loved seeing their different perspectives on life and how they applied Austen into their own mini universes. I don't know if I completely agree with how Daniel and Sylvia turn out, but I still found all six characters interesting and romantic! I just love Kathy Baker, Amy Brenneman, and Hugh Dancy. So please check this one out if you love Austen and love a good romance!

Interesting Trivia: Each cast member was required to read the Austen book their character was reading in the movie!

Memorable Quotes:

Bernadette: All Jane Austen, all the time. It's the perfect antidote.
Prudie Drummond: To what?
Bernadette: To life.

Grigg Harris: What about me? Am I your friend? Or am I just some widget to help you make Sylvia feel better about herself? Why did you invite me to be part of your book club? What went through your mind the first time you saw me? "There's a man who is dying to read every book Jane Austen ever wrote." Is that what you thought?
Jocelyn: No.
Grigg Harris: But I thought, "What a beautiful woman. I hope she looks over at me." I thought if I read your favorite books that you would read mine. But, no, no, no, no... You just want to be obeyed. That's why you have dogs.

12 comments:

  1. This is one movie I really like. Hugh Dancy as Grigg is so adorable! =) Glad you enjoyed it as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this movie when it came out and again in some of my long, depressing "ironing sessions". I love Grigg, of course, but also Emily Blunt's character, fragile French teacher, Prudie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm wondering if the book's good too? Anybody read and seen both? It's on my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't remember much about this movie. It was good but it didn't stick with me. I loved that Griggs bought every book and wanted to read them in order, lol. And I was unreasonably excited to see Marc Blucas since he was on Buffy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Riley Finn is in this movie?? oh, I am soooo renting it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This had such a good cast. I think this is one of the few movies that I've liked a bit more than the book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's very cool the actors had to read the Austen book! I plan on reading the book soon and then I'll have to check out the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that the actors had to read Austen! This was a great audiobook and I'll be watching the movie soon, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed this movie, too.

    I tried to read the book, but I just couldn't get into it! So I gave up and watched the movie instead!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have to say that those quotes do kind of make me want to watch this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm going to agree with J.T. I've been avoiding this movie like nobody's business, but those quotes totally caught my interest. I'll have to check this out!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just recently got a copy of the book, and I'm pretty excited to read it, and afterwards I'm really looking forward to watching the movie. I love the quotes!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.