Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Book Review: The Private Diary of Mr. Darcy by Maya Slater

The Private Diary of Mr. Darcy by Maya Slater (2009)

One Line Review: He catalogs his own books, hangs out with Lord Byron, and sleeps with prostitutes and serving girls.

I like the idea of a diary from Darcy's perspective, but though it was more detailed than The Confession of Fitzwilliam Darcy, it portrayed my beloved Darcy as rather boring and a bit too free with the opposite sex than I would ever imagine, and the friendship between him and Lord Byron was a bit too much. I don't think they would have ever gotten along; it seemed forced.

And from this Darcy I can't understand why Lizzy would have ever fallen for him! Oh, well. I still have Pamela Aidan's novels on Darcy's perspective to keep my company and I have yet to read Amanda Grange's Mr. Darcy's Diary. So hopefully there are others out there worthy of my Mr. Darcy!

Part of the Everything Austen Challenge.

8 comments:

  1. Fitzwilliam Darcy sleeping with prostitutes? Say it ain't so! Really he seemed so uptight before he met Lizzie, I doubt he would even have slept with a serving girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry but you're wrong...he's MY Darcy!!! :-P LOL!!!!

    XOXO~ Renee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, sadly, Lisa, it's true...but I don't believe it! Nope, Renee, he's still my Mr. Darcy!!!! he he

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this definitely is a different Darcy than what I would have imagined as well. I've never read Pamela Aidan's novels. What do you like about them?

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks for the review. i may stay away from this darcy. i'm gonna check out amanda grange's darcy soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't plan to read this one. But Amanda Grange's Mr. Darcy's Diary is a good read; I think it remains true to the Darcy Jane Austen created. I hope you like that one better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not my idea of Darcy either. Oh well

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read this one, but I don't like the ideas. You're right, it doesn't sounds like Mr. Darcy.

    Amanda Grange's book is pretty good.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.