Sunday, September 27, 2009

My First Book Club!!!

I've never ever been a part of a book club before so when I found out that a bunch of women in my church congregation were in one I decided to join on up! We met for the first time last Tuesday and it was so fun. We talked about the books that we all love and what ones we want to do til January.

We're actually doing two for October: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak and The Help by Kathryn Stockett. I just started The Book Thief and is beautiful so far. The language is just beautiful. He has an amazing ability to bring life to his words. And Death narrates the story, which is just, can I say it? 'Totally Wicked!' And I've heard great things about The Help so that what is on its way to my house.

November: These Is My Words by Nancy E. Turner. I've been wanting to read this for awhile now so I am very excited!

December: We thought we would slow it down for the Christmas month so we're reading a short story called The Seedfolks by Paul Fleischman. I hear it's a very inspirational story and just perfect for the holiday season!

January: The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. I haven't heard a lot about this one, but everyone in my book club has been pretty excited to read it so hopefully it is!

So wish me luck! Woot!

10 comments:

  1. Isn't it great to find a group of ladies that enjoy reading as much as you? And you seem to have found a group with excellent taste! My face-to-face club is also reading Guernsey for January, although I read it several months ago; it's delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Book Thief and These is my Words are excellent reads!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you have a good time with the book club-both of the books have gotten great reviews from different blogs.

    I love your Halloween background!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sounds like a good batch of books! enjoy the club!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish I was there with that list of selections! I just hosted an online book group discussion about The Help. What a fantastic book that one is. I couldn't put it down.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE your cute Halloween background! It's cool that you joined a book club and are enjoying the books! Have fun!

    XOXO~ Renee

    ReplyDelete
  7. Heather, that is awesome that you found a great book group to belong to! I'll be excited to hear your take on The Book Thief as I plan to read it soon.

    Also, here is an award for you: http://yesterdaystuna.com/2009/09/28/letsbefriends/

    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, good for you! I've always wanted to be part of a book club but I've never got a chance yet. I hope you have great fun though :)

    I have a couple of awards for you here: http://atpemberley.blogspot.com/2009/09/awards-aka-its-great-to-be-part-of-book.html

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on finding a compatible book club. We loved The Book Thief.

    If you have been following my blog (which you have:), you know how much I LOVED These is my Words. If you do too, let me know. If you are insane and don't love it, I don't want to hear about it :)

    I have 2 copies of Potato Peel Society, but haven't read, so I look forward to your review.

    Let me know where you keep track of your bookclub choices and I will check back for ideas.

    Oh, I almost forgot. I have an award for you, but I see you already have it, so it's all good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society is a great book! My friend recommended it to me, and it was a very quick read.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.