Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Movie Reviews: Sense and Sensibility, Emma

I just watched two of my movies for the Everything Austen Challenge! I've watched these movies many times before and so it was fun to watch them again!

Sense and Sensibility: I watched the one with Emma Thompson and Hugh Grant. This is my favorite rendition of Jane Austen's classic. The acting is superb and many at least four of the actors went on to play various characters in the Harry Potter movies! Woops, I mean five!Their mother Mrs. Dashwood is Madam Pomphrey in the movies!

I love the story how one sister Maryanne must learn what true love is and the other Elinor must learn to be patient and forbearing concerning the one she loves. To me it's a timeless tale that I can relate to in these modern times, which is why Austen's books and their movie continue to be so popular today.

Emma: I watched the one with Gwyneth Paltrow and Jeremy Northam. Definitely my favorite Emma rendition. I thought the one with Kate Beckinsale was a little dry and boring. I also really enjoy this book by Austen. Emma is so different than many of heroines. She's already rich and as such she doesn't need to get married if she so chooses. She's prideful and somewhat vain. Austen shows how it takes someone her equal to help her be her best self. Gwyneth and Jeremy do an excellent job of portraying these traits and their chemistry is amazing!

Part of the Everything Austen Challenge.

3 comments:

  1. Which four actors were also in the HP movies? I can't remember! I loved S&S but I haven't seen Emma yet, it's on my list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just realized that there are five actors from S&S that are in the HP movies! Elinor and Marianne's mother Mrs. Dashwood is Madam Pomphrey in the movies! Just thought you'd like to know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these two movies too - they are among my favorite Jane Austen flicks. I also picked them for my Everything Austen Challenge so I'll be watching and reviewing them again at some point during the next few months:-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.