Saturday, September 26, 2009

Book Review: Zombie Blondes by Brian James

Zombie Blondes:

Back Cover Summary:
From the moment Hannah Sanders arrived in town, she felt there was something wrong.
A lot of houses were for sale, and the town seemed infected by an unearthly quiet. And then, on Hannah’s first day of classes, she ran into a group of cheerleaders—the most popular girls in school.
The odd thing was that they were nearly identical in appearance: blonde, beautiful, and deathly pale.
But Hannah wants desperately to fit in—regardless of what her friend Lukas is telling her: if she doesn’t watch her back, she’s going to be blonde and popular and dead—just like all the other zombies in this town. . . .
My Review:

I really, really wanted to like this book...It started out pretty good. We have Hannah and her father and we learn how they're always moving from town to town and that her father has some mysterious past as an ex-cop. And poor Hannah just wants to fit in, but the only person that befriends her is the freaky kid Lukas. She just wants to fit in, especially with the beautiful and popular cheerleading squad lead by Maggie.

I never really warmed up to Hannah, she was just too eager to please, too selfish, and too stupid and thus easily led. But I never got the dread of the zombies in the sense that you could really just pack up your things and head out of town and never be bothered again. Here's Lukas complaining about all these zombies and he'll be next, but never leaving and when Hannah finally realizes that there's zombies she just gives up hope and assumes she'll eventually become one too....Hello, it's called getting in a car and gettin' the hell out of Dodge, for cryin' out loud!

Just too many unanswered question for me and the ending was just too rushed and unbelievable. It had a nice start, but then fizzled out at the end. Too bad, I really, really, really wanted to like this book....

This is part of the RIP Challenge and the Helluva Halloween Challenge.

6 comments:

  1. Ooh, bummer! If you want a smart, tough as mails gal who knows when to hold 'em and to fold 'em, read Strange Angels by Lili St. Crow. You won't be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry that you didn't like the book. I love the cover, it's so cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the second review of this book I've read and you've both said essentially the same thing. I think it might come off my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't like the book either. I thought zombies came into the novel way to late for being part of the title. And I really hated the protagonist.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this cover, but I have not heard great things about this book. Disappointing. Oh well.
    Thanks for the honest review (and for linking =D)

    ReplyDelete
  6. but wasn't it interesting that hannah just got sucked in. kinda like in stepford wives. also what got me is that these zombies rallied together to create their own community.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.