Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Book Review: Look For Me By Moonlight by Mary Downing Hahn

Look For Me By Moonlight by Mary Downing Hahn (1995)

Summary from back cover:
In a remote Maine inn, where Cynda is supposed to be reconnecting with her father and his new family, she is also falling in love for the first time. But this isn't a typical teenage romance. The object of her affection, Vincent Morthanos, is older and worldly, with pale, aristocratic good looks. And he has a secret—a secret that could destroy Cynda's family, unless she can free herself from love's deadly embrace.
My Review: I've been on a YA fiction kick and especially paranormal with Halloween around the corner along with a few related challenges, so when I saw this at the library it looked really fun and interesting, so seductive. It really wasn't.

Cynda comes to live with her dad, stepmom, and half-brother up in cold Maine and the inn that her father and stepmother own and run. But it's haunted! Maybe I'm too used to vampires trying to be good like Angel from Buffy, Edward from Twilight, and now we have the Vampire Diaries. But when the mysterious stranger shows up, I as the reader, knew he was evil! Why couldn't Cynda? Or the rest of the family? The little boy knew, the cat, and even the next-door neighbor! So I'm reading about all her goo-ga's over Vincent and it's pretty sickening. I knew what was coming and I couldn't stop it. I really wanted to be bamboozled like Cynda and her parents, and be shocked at the end that he was bad to the bone! But it wasn't to be...

It was a really fast read, but predictable and the characters were just a bit too annoying for my taste.

This read goes toward my R.I.P. Challenge and Helluva Halloween Challenge.

3 comments:

  1. Hahaha woops I read the last post before I read this LOL! Well I'm sorry the book wasn't as good as it's cover...too bad :-( Don't you hate when books have awesome covers then they disappoint?

    XOXO~ Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad it didn't live up to its potential.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I as the reader, knew he was evil! Why couldn't Cynda? Or the rest of the family? The little boy knew, the cat, and even the next-door neighbor! So I'm reading about all her goo-ga's over Vincent and it's pretty sickening."

    I love that! It's the book equivalent of "Don't got up the stairs!!! Why would she go up the stairs?" Funny.
    Thanks for linking on the Challenge!

    ~Misty

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.