MONDAY MOVIE MEME
hosted by Molly of The Bumbles Blog.
This week is all about those actors that have horribly bad accents in their movies....so many to choose from.
1. Cary Elwes in Twister (1996). Not only is he trying for an American accent but a Southernish type accent and fails horribly.
2. Drew Barrymore in Ever After (1998). I think everyone was actually supposed to have a French accent in the movie but that's tougher so...English it was in France...but Drew just couldn't quite cut it even with the English accent.
3. Harrison Ford in K-19: The Widowmaker (2002). Harrison attempts a Russian accent....not so great.
4. David Boreanaz in the TV series Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997-2003). I know it's not a movie but his character Angel was born in Ireland and somehow he loses it in modern-day times (being a really old vampire and all) but in flashbacks...his attempt was horrible!!!! Just a pet peeve of mine I wanted to get off my chest.
5. Alan Rickman in Die Hard (1988). I couldn't tell what accent he was trying to achieve....Russian, German, English, American? Then I realized he was supposed to be German....yikes.
6. Honorable mention goes to the entire crew of Valkyrie (2008)...I guess they couldn't count on any of the actors to pull off a semi-authentic German accent so half of them chose for an English accent and the others stuck with American. It was hard to get into and believe that they were really German.
Great English accent for an American goes to Gwyneth Paltrow in Emma (1996). Great British actors with American accents go to Hugh Laurie for House (2004-present)(TV) and Damian Lewis for Life (2007-2009) (TV).