Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Movie Review: Miss Austen Regrets

This movie was smartly written and greatly acted. Olivia Williams makes a great Jane Austen as well as Greta Scacchi as her sister Cassandra. These were definitely the positives.

They decided to focus on the what-ifs of Austen's life. We only know of one marriage proposal that she received from Biggs-Withers. But this movie throws in a few more from some eligible gentleman. They portray Austen as turning them down in order to be independent and focus on her work. It's an interesting concept, but I don't buy it. I really don't think she found anyone she wanted to marry. I think she would have married had she had an excellent man to marry. So while the film itself is well done, I just can't agree with the concept. I just don't believe Miss Austen regretted...

Part of the Everything Austen Challenge.

12 comments:

  1. I have an award for you on my blog.
    http://lauragerold.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. This film is on my to-watch list for the challenge and it sounds interesting. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen this, but based on your synopsis, I have to agree with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Laura, for the awards! I hope you watch it and let me know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haven't seen this one before. Hmm--to watch or not to watch?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Reading your review just reminded me that I have this movie! It came as a bonus with the BBC Sense & Sensibility, but I've never watched it. As long as it's here, I'll check it out...but I already know I agree with you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I liked watching this movie, but it wasn't what I had expected. I think Miss Austen would have married had she found someone she loved and preferred to be single until she met the right man. Who knows what could have happened had she lived longer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've actually never heard of this movie. It sounds interesting! I'll have to see if my library has a copy. Thanks for the heads up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I liked this movie well enough, especially because of the acting. But, like you, I don't think Jane Austen regretted anything. I guess that's one of the main things that bugged me about this. I've seen it more than once, though, and would gladly watch it again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. ooo this looks great.. haven't seen it here at all! I love Olivia Williams - she was amazing as Jane Fairfax so I'm sure she would be a great Jane Austen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. my tendency is to agree with you. jane just didn't click with anyone. she probably would have found a love match in our century. in come the time-travel books to fulfill that love match...

    omg, you've given me an idea for a great austen giveaway contest...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have not heard of this movie and must admit...I do not wonder much about the person of Jane Austen even though I enjoy her writing. Is that bad? *shrug*

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.