Sunday, November 1, 2009

Graceling by Kristin Cashore

One Line Summary: Katsa kicks some major booty!

What a refreshing book! This is one of the best new fantasy concepts I've read in awhile! The concept of Graceling is kind of like mutants but set back in time to a different land. If you are graced then your eyes will change to different colors at a certain age and it's up in the air what "grace" you'll be blessed/cursed with!

The main character is Katsa and her grace is killing. How is she able to be a compassionate and loving person even when her grace is the art of killing? I just loved her and admired her throughout the whole book. She learns so much about who she is and how to control her grace for the help of others. She was strong and yet had so many flaws. I think more books need some strong female characters, especially for youth and this one hits the mark.

5 comments:

  1. I really loved this book as well. It was an amazing story with some great characters!!
    I had a bit of a issue with her view of marriages but that was a tiny issue.
    This was Cashore's first published novel. She did such an amazing job that I hope she can keep this qualitity of writing going through out her novels that she intends to write and publish in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter LOVED this book -- she said the second one introduces more characters, so hopefully the third one brings everything back together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book! I recommend Tamora Pierce's Tortall books to anyone who enjoyed this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an interesting concept. This definitely sounds like a book to check out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for dropping by my blog. I would still recommend reading Hush, Hush as I did enjoy it overall I just found it wasn't as good as I hoped it would be. I do think there is potential for future books in the series though so fingers crossed Crescendo will be better.

    I have Graceling on my TBR pile so am pleased to see such a great review for it :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.