Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Wondrous Words Wednesday

Wondrous Words Wednesday is a weekly meme hosted by Bermudaonion's Weblog where we share new (to us) words that we’ve encountered in our reading. If you want to play along, grab the new button (or the old graphic), and join the fun! (Don’t forget to leave a link in your comment if you’re participating.)

From Strange Angels by Lili St. Crow

Desultory: p. 151 " Tiny little dots of snow drifted down one at a time, the alley only getting a desultory sprinkling."

Wavering, unsteady.

Origin: 1575-85, Latin de- + salire 'to leap'

From Stargazer by Claudia Gray

Groused: p. 144 "'There's nothing to do in Riverton', Raquel groused as I linked my arm in hers and drew her toward the waiting bus."

To grumble, complain

Origin: 1850-55, Perhaps from French dialectal groucer, from Old French grouchier

5 comments:

  1. I've been grousing today because I need to iron! Great words!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great words!

    Here's mine: http://fredasvoice.blogspot.com/2009/10/wondrous-words-wednesday_28.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I lurve this meme! Sometimes when I write I feel like my vocabulary is so... basic compared to other writers. This is a great way to add words to the repertoire!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love the word desultory!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay...something about the word groused absolutely speaks to me. I am thinking that I need to add this to my every day vocabulary to use on my children who tend to grouse frequently...the 14 and 12 year olds most especially. *smile*

    Here are my Wondrous Words

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.