Friday, October 16, 2009

Movie Review: Count Dracula

Count Dracula (1977 BBC)

Director: Philip Saville

Summary: Based on the book Dracula by Bram Stoker Jonathon Harker heads to Romania to help a Count Dracula with his preparations to move to London. Soon he is held captive while the Count makes his way to England to ensnare Harker's fiancee and her sister. It's up to Dr. Van Helsing to figure out how kill Count Dracula and save Harker's fiancee!

Review: I was actually pleasantly surprised by this adaptation! It was creepy in all the right places and Dracula was pretty 'oogie.' I recently played the computer game Dracula that was also based on the novel by Bram Stoker so I was able to follow along pretty well. This definitely portrayed the sensual/sexual side to vampires; I can see why many would choose to become vamps! It was filmed in 1977 so it does have a bit of cheese factor to it, but overall I thought it was done pretty well. I'm not much up for a lot horrific gore so I was glad that they kept it down to a minimum. A very enjoyable movie for the Halloween season!

Part of the Helluva Halloween Challenge.

7 comments:

  1. I'm reading and analysing Gothic novels with my eldest students. Perfect for the Halloween season, isn't it? Of course I read Bram Stoker's novel, but I have never seen an adaptation of Dracula, so far. I think I should do it...but my TBS list is ... endless! Thanks for your review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have yet to see a Drac adaptation I like. Might have to look into this one. And "oogie" makes me think of Gloomcookie and The Nightmare Before Christmas (and justhow FANTASTIC James Earl Jones is), which amuses me. It's a fun word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've actually never seen this version before! I'm thinking I'll have to add it to my movies to watch for Halloween! Thanks for sharing!

    xoxo~ Renee

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't heard of this version either. Most creepy one I've seen - the classic Nosferatu. Yeesh that guy's scary!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll have to check this one out; I never have seen a version that I thought hit all the right notes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. haven't seen this one but sounds like good cheese. like that oogie-ness factor. for another fun romp with cheesy vamp movies, try my fave, Love at First Bite - very 70s.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I thought it was a fun and spookish movie for the season!

    Lula O- I'll have to check that one out sounds good.

    Misty- I also love James Earl Jones! Did you catch him in the latest episode of House? Excellent!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.