Monday, October 19, 2009

Book Review: Uglies by Scott Westerfeld

From Shelfari:
The Uglies series is wildly detached from the world we live in today. A place far in the future that holds everyone in their place. The city is separated in two halves, one side is for the uglies, and the other for the pretties.
The future for every ugly is predictable, and for them exciting. Turn 16, get the operation. Sand your skin off, replace with new skin. Raise cheekbones, height, enlarge your lips, eyes and get to the other side of the city.
But what about the ones who don't want the surgery? They're the ones who get out. Out of the two halves of the city and into the wild, into the past, into our present. But for how long?
Review: I love post-apocalyptic reads...this one didn't disappoint. The only thing that bothered me was the main character Tally...she had too much of a 360 change from being the brainwashed ugly to the better informed one, but oh well, I'm still excited to finish the series!

I really enjoyed how three hundred years into the future things haven't changed that much. Everyone still cares about looking perfect and not being happy for who they are on the inside and not what they look like on the outside. I think it's a great story on learning to break out of society's ideas of beauty and to find one's own beauty and for that I really enjoyed this novel.

6 comments:

  1. This one does sound great, I have this one my wishlist. Well actually on my christmaslist. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE the Uglies series. Tally is an interesting character, almost like an anti-hero.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My teenage daughter loved all the books in this set. Maybe I should borrow this--sounds intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard great things about this series. Thanks for shring your thoughts. Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. After you read Pretties you'll have to tell me what you think. I feel like with each book it's like starting over. You'll see what I mean. SO much of Tally changes with each change she goes through. So much of her friends also change with each book.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.