Thursday, October 8, 2009

Book Review: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Published: 2005

Summary: Death marches across the world gathering the souls that leave this earth and he becomes enthralled with Liesel Meminger, a little girl that watches her brother die and is turned over to foster care. It's Germany on the verge of World War II. Liesel procures The Gravedigger's Handbook from those who bury her brother and thus begins her book thieving career. We join Death on her journey with new parents, book stealing, her boyfriend Rudy, Max the Jew in her basement, and the mayor's wife.

Review: This story drew me in from page one. Markus Zusak has a wonderful way with words.
"I walked in, loosened his soul, and carried it gently away." "Somewhere, far down, there was an itch in his heart, but he made a point not to scratch it. He was a afraid of what might come leaking out." "Burning words were torn from their sentences."

These are just a few sentences that convey his beautiful imagery in this book. This is a very different perspective on Germany during World War II and the Holocaust. It was great to see the side of Germans that were against Hitler and wanted to protect those that needed it. I felt that Zusak captured Germany during that time; what it was like to be a non-Jewish German, a young adult, poor, watching your world fall apart around you, seeing the cruelty of war and intolerance, and yet trying to make sense of it all. This is a story that needs to be told and it is beautiful, heart-wrenching, sad, and yet hopeful.

14 comments:

  1. I've been wanting to read this book simply because there is the word book in the title.
    Now I am wanting to read it for so many other reasons. It sounds beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because you love language and words, I knew you would appreciate this book. One of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This book was beautiful. I loved that it told by death, and the imagery was fantastic. It was so wonderfully told. I'm glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I listened to The Book Thief and it was so moving and beautiful and sad. One of the best books I've ever read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard such wonderful things about this book. I'm really going to have to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Finally a tale of WWII from the point of view of the Germans. Not all of them wanted to be Nazis. Some resisted and died because of it. A truly moving book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is on my wish list. Very nice review :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful review! I have this near the top of the tbr pile and hope to get to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful passage. i do have this on my wishlist. have to get around to it sooner than later.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made the mistake of finishing this book in a Dr's office -- I sat there and boo-hoo'd!! People thougth I was nuts!
    It's a great book!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I might have to put this on the list for the read-a-thon!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lovely review of a book that has been on my TBR list for ever but I have always for some reason stalled on reading.

    It really does sound beautiful and sad and I so want to read it now. I'll pop back and let you know what I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I loved this book, too, and now it ranks among my all-time faves. Would it be okay to link to your review on War Through the Generations?

    --Anna
    Diary of an Eccentric

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the great review! As you know, I just recently received a copy of this book. I'm really excited to read it! =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.