Friday, October 2, 2009

Book Review: Never Slow Dance With a Zombie by E. Van Lowe


Back of Book Summary:
Principal Taft's 3 Simple Rules for Surviving a Zombie Uprising:
Rule #1: While in the halls, walk slowly and wear a vacant expression on your face. Zombies won't attack other zombies.
Rule #2: Never travel alone. Move in packs. Follow the crowd. Zombies detest blatant displays of individuality.
Rule #3: If a zombie should attack, do not run. Instead, throw raw steak at to him. Zombies love raw meat. This display of kindness will go a long way.
On the night of her middle school graduation, Margot Jean Johnson wrote a high school manifesto detailing her goals for what she was sure would be a most excellent high school career. She and her best friend, Sybil, would be popular and, most important, have boyfriends. Three years later, they haven't accomplished a thing!
Then Margot and Sybil arrive at school one day to find that most of the student body has been turned into flesh-eating zombies. When kooky Principal Taft asks the girls to coexist with the zombies until the end of the semester, they realize that this is the perfect opportunity to live out their high school dreams. All they have to do is stay alive....
My Review:

I really loved this book, especially after coming off of Zombie Blondes, which I didn't like, to this one was wonderful! I really enjoy satires, books that go over the top to make their point. This book did not disappoint. We have Sybil and Margot who discover that all most all of their classmates have been turned into zombies. What does Margot want to do? She wants to be the most popular girl in school (though, she is the only one not undead!). While Sybil just wants to get the zombies to "declique" from their cliques! As Margot strives to rule the school and stay safe from the zombies her and Sybil slowly grow apart. Can they keep their friendship, cure their classmates, discover the culprit, and survive high school? These are the themes I experienced in high school. How to hold onto the good friends I've got and not worry about what the popular kids say, etc. How to make a difference in school? How do I survive? Granted, I never had to fight off zombies and live among them, but don't we all have a bit of zombie in us?

This is part of the Helluva Halloween Challenge and R.I.P. Challenge.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like zombies are a lot like high school kids :) Fun book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so cute and ridiculous, I really want to get my hands on a copy. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the cover. As if surviving high school wasn't hard enough!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds a lot of fun! I could go back to college in a heartbeat, but not HS so much.
    I too like the cover--which is a must for me in order to pick it up.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. yay! glad you liked it. i like that word declique.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, another zombie book! Great fun - I'm finding more and more good ones like this. Sounds a lot of fun!

    I have seen this and wondered what it is like. Maybe it was here? LOL I get confused. It's my age!

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I am sooo reading this book! It looks great! Are you going to see Zombieland? I've been on a zombie kick so I'll probably see it sometime this month LOL!

    I also have an award for you too! Pick it up here!
    http://steelergirl83.blogspot.com/2009/10/over-top-award.html

    XOXO~ Renee

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review, the book looks so good. Love the summary.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.