Thursday, January 7, 2010

TV Thursday- Favorite Comedies

A weekly meme started by Trina and continued by me on anything TV related!

This week....Comedies aka Situational Comedies back in the day...What have been/are your favorite comedies?

I used to love comedies, but now...not so much...there's just too much stereotyping and vulgarity and not enough diversity for me to get into the stories...so  I don't have any favorites at this time. But when I was a kid I loved Punky Brewster, Silver Spoons, Mr. Belvedere, Who's the Boss?, and The Cosby Show...Still not a lot of diversity (except for The Cosby Show), but they were still heart-warming and didn't completely rely on sex jokes to make themselves funny. Then the 90s brought Seinfeld and Friends. Those were pretty funny for the most part. And now I hear How I Met Your Mother is pretty good and, of course, The Office, which is the only comedy I actually watch every now and again.

What do you think? Are comedies getting dumber or are they getting smarter? And once again, what are your faves?

7 comments:

  1. What a cool meme! I think comedies are a bit different these days. I love the classics, but my favorite at the moment is The Big Bang Theory :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only two comedies I watch right now are 30 Rock & Modern Family. Thanks for reminding me of Punky and Silver Spoons, though. I loved those :) Seinfeld is still my all-time favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another fan of The Office here... :o) It's really the only comedy I watch anymore because most comedies nowadays are too vulgar for my taste.

    Did love The Cosby Show and Friends when they were on, too. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think so many comedies are bound up in stereotyped characters. Drives me crazy. I think comedies are definitely dumbed down; everything unique or smartly written gets pulled so maybe people want the stereotypes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a good sitcom. I watched the real shows and re-runs of the Brady Bunch, Cosby show, Home Improvement, King of Queens, Friends, Seinfeld, According to Jim ... but now we don't really watch TV much at all because there isn't anything to watch. Altho' we do still enjoy That 70's Show -- I know, I know. Doesn't take much to make me laugh.

    BTW...my niece came to Vegas for a Seinfeld show, and guess what? It was clean! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The Cosby Show, I used to watch that show with my family. Loved it. :) So much fun. I don't know if they are getting dumber, but some are just so blah. :)
    I still enjoy Will&Grace and Friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like a lot of you have some old favorites and not too many current faves...yup, current ones just are not as smart.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.