Saturday, January 23, 2010

The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson

Genre: young adult
FTC Disclosure: Borrowed from library
Published: 2008
Pages: (Hardback) 266
Content: PG for adult themes.
Reading Challenges: 2010 Young Adult Reading Challenge, A to Z Challenge (author P)

Summary: Who is Jenna Fox?

Seventeen-year-old Jenna has been told that is her name. She has just awoken from a year-long coma, and she's still recovering from the terrible accident that caused it. Her parents show her home movies of her life, her memories, but she has no recollection. Is she really the same girl she sees on the screen?

Little by little, Jenna begins to remember. Along with the memories come questions—questions no one wants to answer for her. What really happened after the accident?



This was loaded with lots of themes on what it is to be human, life, religion, souls, and the ethics of science and how it can add to or take away our lives.

Pearson explores the issues and ideas pretty well throughout the book with Jenna and those around her, but her ending ruined it for me. She ended up telling us what was right, what was the best choice.

Let us decide for ourselves, make us think, but don't tell us what to think or feel.


Rating: 2/5

4 comments:

  1. That ending sounds terrible. Hmmm...I will have to think about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first bad review I've seen, which is good because you've lowered my high expectations a bit. This one is on my reading list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked this one better than you did although not as much as so many other people do. I'm not sure I'm going to be reading a lot of YA stuff but this one did bring up some great questions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read a couple of reviews about this book and it got me interested in this book. Thank you for your hontesty about the ending of the book. It does sound like a book where you think about life. :P)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.