Sunday, January 10, 2010

Sorcery and Cecelia or The Enchanted Chocolate Pot by Patricia C. Wrede & Caroline Stever

  • Reading level: Young Adult
  • Genre: Fantasy, mystery, romance
  • Paperback: 336 pages
  • Publisher: Magic Carpet Books; First Thus edition (September 1, 2004) Original publication 1988
  • FTC Disclosure: I borrowed this book from my county library
  • Rating: 4/5
  • Reading Challenge: 2010 Young Adult Reading Challenge
Summary: A great deal is happening in London and the country this season.

For starters, there's the witch who tried to poison Kate at the Royal College of Wizards. There's also the man who seems to be spying on Cecelia. (Though he's not doing a very good job of it--so just what are his intentions?) And then there's Oliver. Ever since he was turned into a tree, he hasn't bothered to tell anyone where he is.

Clearly, magic is a deadly and dangerous business. And the girls might be in fear for their lives . . . if only they weren't having so much fun!


My thoughts: This is an epistolary novel between to cousins. I've never read an epistolary novel before and I had no idea it was one when I started reading! I was a bit weary at first but then began to enjoy what Kate and Cecy had to say to one another and how the plot continued to thicken! They're both strong female heroines and I love how they subconsciously fall in love! It's pretty hilarious...I mean, you know it's going to happen and with whom, but it's all about the journey!

It's cute and romantic and there's even magic and mayhem! 

They wrote a couple of more sequels recently and am looking forward to them! 

*Part of the 2010 Young Adult Reading Challenge

6 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to give this series a try for a while now. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds so sweet and fun! I love the magic of the book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those books, so much fun. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you enjoyed this - I also quite liked it! It made me want to write a book with my best friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was doing a search through Blogger, and it makes me happy that there are so many recent reviews of this book! Even if it's not Wrede's best work, I think it's well worth reading, and it's so inspiring, too! I've now played several versions of the letter game, all of them fun (most of them much shorter than S&C of course). Writing is wonderful! Everybody should do it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OfSomewhatINtelligenceFebruary 22, 2010 at 10:03 PM

    I read this book in middle school and I couldn't remember the title. All I remembered was that it had two titles and it was something about chocolate and a pot. I looked it up and there it was! It's a lot of fun to find that books you enjoy other people enjoy as well.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.