Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Mini Book Reviews: Fiction: Lovecraft Country, Sword of Summer


Lovecraft Country by Matt Ruff 
Published: February 16th, 2016 by Harper
Genre: Horror, Fantasy
Format: Ebook, 329 Pages, Scribd
Rating: 4 stars

My Thoughts:

I read one short story of H.P. Lovecraft a few years ago. And I've heard of the mythos of Lovecraft with Cthulu the Elder God, etc but I didn't really become interested until I learned what a racist he was. I read The Ballad of Black Tom by Victor LaValle a couple of years ago which turns a very racist short story by Lovecraft on its head. I loved that idea. And that brings us to Lovecraft Country. Matt Ruff wanted to combine the horror of everyday racism combined with actual supernatural horror and base it all on one of the most racist horror writers ever. It's a fantastic combination. Each chapter is a mini adventure that each member of this diverse family goes through. Atticus, Letitia, Ruby, Horace, Hyppolyta, George and Montrose. And some of these stories are freaky. The one with Horace and the Devil Doll. Super creepy.

And I will recommend the HBO version that's airing now. Now you can take a great idea and run with it. Bring on a diverse writing staff and directing staff and you get some of the best television out there. Go read and watch!

*read this as part of the Frightfall Read-a-thon over at Seasons of Reading.





Magnus chase and the Gods of Asgard: The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan
Published: October 6th, 2015 by Disney-Hyerion Books
Genre: Fantasy, Juvenile
Format: Paperback, 499 Pages, Own
Rating: 4 stars

My Thoughts:

Magnus Chase is a homeless teenager trying to survive on the streets of Boston and mourning the death of his mother. He's got a couple of guys who help lookout for him and some long-lost uncles and a cousin too. Soon a fire demon finds him and all hell breaks loose. He summons a sword and dies and ends up in Valhalla. He soon discovers he's a son of the god Frey and has the power to bring on the armageddon of Ragnarok or find a way to keep Fenris the wolf tied up and the worlds safe for another day. Along the way he befriends Samirah, and Blitzen and Hearthstone. All are prepped and ready to help.

I really liked this one. It brings the Norse myths and gods to life with likeable characters and of course lots of silly humor. My son has been enjoying the series and I am too.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know that about Lovecraft! My son used to love his work but he wouldn't even have his cousin in his wedding party (they used to be best buddies) because he thinks he is racist so I'll bet he's rethought his love of Lovecraft!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of his stuff is metaphor for race and xenophobia but not a good way. I think you can read him but it's good to know where it all comes from. Ballad of Black Tom was excellent and turns one of the most racist of his stories into a story with a Black protagonist who gets his revenge.

      Delete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.