Wednesday, September 16, 2020

Horror Movie Wednesday

horrormoviewednesdaypic

September 1st hits and I'm all about Fall and Halloween! I gifted myself two-months' of Shudder and have not been disappointed. Shudder has some great shows and documentaries on there. I watched Horror Noire: A History of Black Horror based on the book Horror Noire: Blacks in American Horror Films from the 1890s to Present by Robin R. Means Coleman. I added a ton of movies to my ever-growing horror movie list.


There were Black film makers from the very beginning of cinema, like Oscar Micheaux, who used their own film crews and actors. It also talks about how Hollywood used Black characters in their films in the early days like as the stereotypes of "mammie" or the "magical negro." And how they disappeared once white sci-fi and monster movies came out in the 50s and 60s. Then blacksploitation films of the 70s and 80s. Present day we finally get horror movies made for Black people like Get Out.

It's a fantastic documentary. I recommend renting it and watching even if you're not a horror fan.

Here are a few I've added to my must-see list:



Blacula (1972)


Ganja & Hess (1973)


The Craft (1996)


Candyman (1992)


The People Under the Stairs (1991)


Tales from the Hood (1995)


Eve's Bayou (1997)


Attack the Block (2011)

For more info on these movies check out the links to IMDB's descriptions and trailers.

Shudder has some excellent movies on there right now, especially Host and Prevenge. So if you are a horror movie buff and haven't checked out Shudder yet, do so now!


And this weekend Antebellum releases, Friday!


8 comments:

  1. Some good films here, I really enjoyed Attack the Block!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to get on these especially this month and October!

      Delete
  2. Antebellum looks spooky .... you'll have to vet it for us. I'm a bit chicken on horror movies so I don't see many.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Shudder. I watched Host the other day...right before bed. Dummy. Great movie. I have a bunch added to my watch list. I subscribe to Shudder year round. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been great so far! Prevenge and Host have been awesome. Spiral was also a good one. Loving it.

      Delete
  4. Antebellum looks like a good one. Perfect for the season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reviews aren't great but still planning on watching it virtually with a friend this next weekend!

      Delete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.