Monday, September 7, 2020

August Wrap-up

August flew by....see you later! G started up school all online. It's been mostly a go, though there have been plenty of breakdowns and moments where we all felt like giving up. I've gotta hand it to the teachers at his school. They are doing live online classes and in-person classes. And to make it all work and trying to keep track of the students and their work and still contact parents, etc. I'm super grateful for it. It makes my job so much easier. I can be support staff rather than teacher and parent. I'm willing to do it but I'm glad I don't have to yet.

Things I'm Grateful For:

We also got a beautiful hike in on Friday with some friends who are also being extra cautious. It was much-needed as Labor Day weekend started.

We got together with some neighbors outside and listened to music, drank a few beers and danced and laughed. Everyone was able to just have fun and relax after this long and hot and crazy summer.

Starbucks has their pumpkin spice blend coffee out. I bought a bag and have been sipping on it all weekend!

2020-09-06 18.22.48  


Books Read:

The Shadows by Alex North

Begin Again: James Baldwin's America and Its Urgent Lessons for Our Own by Eddie S. Glaude Jr.

Mooncakes by Suzanne Walker

Insignificant Events in the Life of a Cactus by Dusti Bowling

The Undefeated by Kwame Alexander

Devolution: A Firsthand Account of the Rainier Sasquatch Massacre by Max Brooks

Too Much and Never Enough: How My Family Created the Most Dangerous Man by Mary L. Trump

Begin Again was my favorite overall but Mary Trump's book was fascinating and insightful. Mooncakes was a delightful surprise and I really enjoyed reading Bowling's book with G.

Movies:

You Should Have Left

Black Is King

The One and Only Ivan

An American Pickle

Project Power


1BR

Behind You

1BR was a surprisingly fun horror. I highly recommend that one on Netflix. Project Power was also one we all watched together on Netflix.

Reading:

I picked up Emma again after a couple months off. I've committed to reading a chapter or two each night. They're not terrible long chapters and I know the story well so I can pick up where I leave off easily.

I picked up What Language Is: What It Isn't and What It Could Be by John McWhorter. I've been reading this one on and off since April. It's not a long book at all but other books, etc have been grabbing my attention. But I finally picked it back up earlier this week and plan on finishing it this week. I'm so close!

I also started The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins. I'm reading this along with Michelle over at Castle Macabre for her horror read-a-long. It's pretty long but I hope I can keep up mostly...

I'm almost done with The Dream of Reason: A History of Western Philosophy from the Greeks to the Renaissance by Anthony Gottlieb. I've been reading this one since March with my friend who lives in Washington. We have a little philosophy club and we take turns picking a philosophy type book and we read along together and FaceTime each week to talk about it and catch up. One more chapter and then on to a new philosophy book!

Lovecraft Country: A Novel by Matt Ruff is so good. I'm reading and watching the HBO series at the same time.

I'll also finish Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard: The Summer Sword by Rick Riordan either today or tomorrow. It's been reading it with G. He's on the third book and I'll soon be on the second. We discuss.

I also just started The First Days by Rhiannon Frater. I haven't read a good zombie series in awhile in I hear this one's good.

G and I are getting closer to finishing off The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman. And it's getting good! Can't wait to read the finale. It's going to be epic.

Listening to:

Braiding Sweetgrass: Indigenous Wisdom, Scientific Knowledge, and the Teachings of Plants by Robin Wall Kimmerer. This is a beautiful book. I ended up buying the physical copy so I could mark passages and reread slowly. But listening to her is so healing.


Since tis the season of horror, I started Cemetery Boys by Aiden Thomas. 


Watching: 


Movies:

I signed up for Shudder this week to indulge my love of horror. I watched Horror Noire: A History of Black Horror, Prevenge, and Host. All fantastic!

And for family time we have watched all the Bill and Ted movies and the new one Bill and Ted Face the Music. Bogus Journey is not good but we had to watch but the other two are pure gold!

TV:                           

Jazz lost their last game. So sad. But I've been enjoying watching all the other teams still. Yay NBA! DH and I are catching up on The Umbrella Academy on Netflix. And Lovecraft Country on HBO

This week: I ran out of yarn to crochet my Halloween blanket but it should be here tomorrow....crossing fingers. Also my yarn for other projects will come with my orange. So lots more crocheting to be crocheted soon!

Looking forward to cooler weather and everything Fall and Halloween. But DH and I and some friends are doing a bike concert on Saturday. Everyone bikes around in a guided group to 8 mini concerts. We get to enjoy for 15 min or so and then off to the next one. I've never done anything like this so look at me trying new things during Covid. And masks must be worn while enjoying the concert! So safety first.

Joining in with Readerbuzz's Sunday Salon


6 comments:

  1. It sounds like you have found ways to safely enjoy summer before it is gone. Lovely. I particularly like the sound of the mini-concerts. It reminds me of Christmas Walk-a-Mile at the churches here in my town. Walk, stop and listen to music, walk on. I wonder if it could be modified so that everyone sings outdoors this year.

    We watched our first episodes of Umbrella Academy last week. We will watch more.

    Begin Again came in for me at the library. I'll pick that up tomorrow. Glad to see it was your favorite of the week.

    I definitely will look for Braiding Sweetgrass, too. I think the audio might be on Hoopla.

    I hope you have a great week, Heather.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are trying! Looking forward to getting out a bit this weekend. Thanks for stopping by and I hope you are having a lovely week as well!

      Delete
  2. I read Trump's book as well... insightful for sure. Happy September!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you could get out for a hike, pretty. Are you experiencing any smoke there? Looks like the whole West is on fire, scary. We are getting some of Oregon's smoke I think. Or Washington's. Virtual school days seem busy. Hope your September goes smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had smoke really bad last weekend. But then hurricane winds came in and blew the smoke out and uprooted a lot of trees further north. But hey at least the smoke has been cleared off for a bit.

      I hope you have a great September too!

      Delete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.