Wednesday, September 30, 2020

Horror Movie Wednesday--Spanish Horror

horrormoviewednesdaypic


I recently watched Musarañas (Shrew's Nest) on Shudder. It was fantastic. It reminded me of other Spanish-language horror movies I've watched over the years. So many have been so good. A lot of Guillermo del Toro's early work has been really good.



Cronos (1993) and The Devil's Backbone (2001) are my two favorites of his. The Devil's Backbone was creepy and a fantastic story.

Guillermo Del Toro also wrote the Scary Stores to Tell in the Dark movie last year. It was a great story that included so many of the classic elements that scared me as a kid with the original trilogy from Albert Schwartz. (But that wasn't a Spanish horror...side track, sorry).


Verónica

This was a fantastic possession story that came out in 2017 on Netflix. The best horrors are the ones that tell a story that we all can relate to but twist it just enough metaphorically to creep us out and get us thinking. Most of the time I roll my eyes at demonic possession movies but this was done well and thoughtfully. It was scary!


The Orphanage
from 2007 is another devastatingly haunting horror from Spain. I have not rewatched this movie since I first saw it. I might be able to do so now but I first watched it in 2012...8 years? Yeah, it's that creepy and disturbing. The way it deals with loss and grief is literally horrifying. But a must-watch in the Spanish horror genre.


Rec
is a classic in the zombie genre. it's been redone for the English-speaking audiences but the original is special.

I still have quite a few on my list I need to see:


Tigers Are Not Afraid (2017)


The Similars (2016)


Sleep Tight (2011)


Julia's Eyes (2010)


Timecrimes (2007)


The Skin I Live In (2011)


Witching and Bitching (2013)

I hope you enjoyed a little stroll through Spanish-language cinema! So much more to be explored!

*all images are taken from IMDB.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.