Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Begin Again: James Baldwin's America and Its Urgent Lessons for Our Own by Eddie S. Glaude Jr.

2020-08-26 11.00.52
Begin Again: James Baldwin's America and Its Urgent Lessons for Our Own by Eddie S. Glaude Jr.
Published: April 21st, 2020 by Crown Publishing Group (NY)
Genre: Nonfiction, History, Current Events
Format: Kindle, 272 Pages, Own
Rating: 5 stars

My Thoughts:

Eddie S. Glaude Jr. writes a much-needed book on how we can begin again and keeping moving forward despite all the steps back. And what better way to do this than with the words and life of James Baldwin.

James Baldwin "...saw, and felt deeply, the effects of America's betrayal of the black freedom struggle of the mid-twentieth century: The country had refused once again, to turn its back on racism and to reach for its better angels..." And here the country sits at the brink do we refuse once again to learn about the foundations of this country? Do we refuse to acknowledge and the cries of Black people and people of color, for their cries of acknowledgement and change? "A moral reckoning is upon us, and we have to decide, once and for all, whether or not we will truly be a multiracial democracy."

Glaude takes us on his journey as he thinks about Baldwin's life and works. It's a bit memoir, biography, and literary criticism and history all rolled into one. The pain is real as we see major steps forward and huge reckoning starting with the civil rights movement of the mid-twentieth century but how once again America turns its back on learning and growing and reconciliation. We end up getting Nixon and Reagan and major steps back with the war on drugs and mass incarceration, which has disproportionately affected Black Americans and people of color.

"Revealing the lie at the heart of the American idea, however, occasions an opportunity to tell a different and better story...Not everything his lost. Responsibility cannot be lost, it can only be abdicated. If one refuses abdications, one begins again."

And thus how Glaude takes us through Baldwin's America (which is our America) and his hopes, despair, and reconciliation with America then and how we can like Baldwin did begin again.

Through his book I've also discovered more insights into Baldwin than I ever thought I could know. More of his writings, interviews, documentaries about him, letters, and journals dedicated to analyzing everything he wrote was brought to my attention. Can't wait to dive in.

4 comments:

  1. Seems like I could learn a lot from this book. I did finally see the movie about Baldwin : I am Not Your Negro ... which was very strong, wow. I've read Baldwin's novel Beale Street which was excellent but need to read more from him. I've heard that the biography of Baldwin is also very good .... see this post below https://keepthewisdom.blogspot.com/2020/08/james-baldwin-biography.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that as well! I have a couple on my list I'll be getting to. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. I have this one on hold for me at the library. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! I look forward to your thoughts.

      Delete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.