Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Week-in-Review-- Halloween!

We had a great Halloween! The weather was a little chilly but nothing we couldn't handle. G looked adorable in his cat costume and he loaded up on all the candy. I told him he could trade in his candy for money but he hasn't taken me up yet on that offer....

Source
Books Finished:

The History of Love by Nicole Krauss. I haven't read a book like this in a long time. Smoke Get In Your Eyes & Other Lessons from the Crematory by Caitlin Doughty. This was so good. So many thoughts....

Currently Reading:

The Jumbies by Tracey Baptiste (reading aloud with my son), We Were Eight Years in Power: An American Tragedy by Ta-Nehisi Coates, From Here to Eternity: Traveling the World to Find the Good Death by Caitlin Doughty.

Listening To:

Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders on Audible.

Watching:

Movies about death and grief. Obit-- a documentary of the obituary writers at the New York Times. What is their process and how do they make a good story?

The Big Chill--A group of old college friends get together after their friend dies by suicide. An interesting look on how an early death forces us to look our life choices and where should we from here.

The Descendants--This is one of my favorites. A look at how we face the death of a loved one, all the good and bad that comes out of our relationships.

Source
My Life--Michael Keaton and Nicole Kidman are fantastic in this. What do we do when we know death is right around the corner? How do we make sure we leave a legacy and patch up relationships before we die? All the feels in this one.

Making:

Lots of soups and breads and warm drinks! This week I'll be making some hearty meals of chicken and potatoes and creamy chicken noodle soup. They are new recipes so we shall see how the fam-fam likes them.

Looking forward to:

This whole month and season. I'm loving my readings and watchings on death and grief. I'm feeling the feels and it's been good for me. I'm reflecting more on my life and wanting to make sure my eventual death is a good one.

Also the weekend! Date night on Friday and fabulous soup on the weekend!

Pics from the week:

2017-10-26 11.18.30
Nala enjoyed her time by Death!
2017-10-28 20.28.07
Haunted Hustle 5K


2017-10-31 17.48.21
Cute black cat!

2017-10-31 19.48.12
Chilling with friends!

2017-10-31 19.48.44
This was a fun shot!

2017-10-31 19.56.30
DH and me



1 comment:

  1. My Life makes me cry every time I watch it. Big, ugly cries. I loved Lincoln In The Bardo in print but I hear it is even better on audio - it's not entirely impossible that I will reread it that way.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.