Thursday, November 2, 2017

Non-fiction November 2017


I love non-fiction. I love learning about new things, ideas, places, people, you name it. I was happy to hear about a whole month dedicated to non-fiction. I'll still read a few fiction books in there but this month I'll be focusing on books about death and grief. This time of the year puts me in that mood. It's a way to focus on life and what I'm grateful for.

A big thanks to JulzReads, Sarah's Book ShelvesDoing Dewey, Emerald City Book Review, and Sophisticated Dorkiness for putting on this fantastic non-fiction November!

My Nonfiction Year at-a-glance:

  • How to Read Literature Like a Professor by Thomas C. Foster
  • Hillbilly Elegy: A Memoir of a Family and Culture in Crisis by J.D. Vance
  • H Is For Hawk by Helen MacDonald
  • Shrill: Notes From a Loud Woman by Lindy West
  • Good Without God: What a Billion Nonreligious People Do Believe by Greg M. Epstein
  • Hidden Figures: The American Dream and the Untold Story of the Black Women Mathematicians Who Helped Win the Space Race by Margot Lee Shetterly
  • The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
  • March: Book One by John Robert Lewis
  • Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh
  • Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body by Roxane Gay
  • Astrophysics for People in a Hurry by Neil deGrasse Tyson
  • The World Without Us by Alan Weisman
  • The Girl With the Lower Back Tattoo by Amy Schumer
  • Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage County Murders and the Birth of the FBI by David Grann
  • Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel
  • Al Franken, Giant of the Senate by Al Franken
  • Anything We Love Can Be Saved by Alice Walker
  • Are You My Mother? by Alison Bechdel
  • Shattered: Inside Hillary Clinton's Doomed Campaign by Jonathon Allen


Week One's questions:

Source
What has been your favorite non-fiction read this year?

Easy. Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body by Roxane Gay.

What one have you recommended the most?

Once again Hunger: A Memoir of (My) Body and close second is Shattered: Inside Hillary Clinton's Doomed Campaign by Jonathon Allen.

What is the one topic or type of non-fiction you haven't read enough of yet? 

History. I have so many of them I want to get to but they are very big and it would take a lot of time to truly get through them.

Source
What are you hoping to get out of participating in non-fiction November?

I love mini-challenges. I love seeing what other people are reading. It'll be a way for me to reflect on what I'm reading this month and engage with other nonfiction lovers.

13 comments:

  1. Wow! You've done a lot of nonfiction reading this year! I don't think I've read anything on your list, but several of those are on my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wait, I did read The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks a few years ago!

      Delete
    2. Did you see the movie HBO did on Henrietta Lacks? What did you think?

      Delete
    3. I didn't see the movie. I don't watch a lot of movies, but I'd probably watch this one if I had HBO.

      Delete
  2. So impressed with your list of nonfiction this year! I see several books I loved and many more that I want to read. I discovered Roxane Gay this year though her essay collection, Bad Feminist and now look forward to reading Hunger, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bad Feminist is how I discovered Roxane Gay too. Her writing is so raw and beautiful. You'll love Hunger.

      Delete
  3. That's an impressive list of nf books I haven't read!

    I tend to read a lot of Aust/Asian-Pacific titles though, so that's my excuse 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That makes sense you'd more about where you live! I'll have to check out your list!

      Delete
  4. What a great month you will have! You'll learn a lot of new things. I always love that! I watched Hidden Figures in the plain to the Netherlands and I loved the movie. SO GOOD!

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hidden Figures was a fantastic movie; it really brought out the real life people from the book. Made them seem real.

      Delete
  5. How to Read Literature Like a Professor sounds really interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've had a great reading year! Years ago I started reading How To Read Literature Like A Professor and then got sidetracked. Now I can't find it but I'm absolutely certain that I didn't get rid of it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.