Friday, September 27, 2013

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion

I also read this as part of R.I.P. VIII.

Goodreads summary:

R is a young man with an existential crisis--he is a zombie. He shuffles through an America destroyed by war, social collapse, and the mindless hunger of his undead comrades, but he craves something more than blood and brains. He can speak just a few grunted syllables, but his inner life is deep, full of wonder and longing. He has no memories, no identity, and no pulse, but he has dreams.
After experiencing a teenage boy's memories while consuming his brain, R makes an unexpected choice that begins a tense, awkward, and strangely sweet relationship with the victim's human girlfriend. Julie is a blast of color in the otherwise dreary and gray landscape that surrounds R. His decision to protect her will transform not only R, but his fellow Dead, and perhaps their whole lifeless world. 

My Thoughts:

I love me some zombie stories. I do! I love the premise behind this book. A zombie romance and a slight retelling of Romeo & Juliet, sounds like it should be a zombie book made in heaven, right?

I'm sure most people find it a good one. But it was too preachy. I didn't like that. And it just didn't make sense...all this time no zombie has figured out how to come back but take a young, nubile, white, blond woman and a once-white guy in suburban America....sparks fly and they can save the whole human and zombie race!

It had so much potential. And I know I'm nitpicking...but this story didn't speak to me. I'd say more but don't want to give away any spoilers.

Book Vs. Movie:

The movie was completely neutered from the actual book but that actually made me relate to the movie a whole lot more. The movie was more about the romance and love saving the world and more about tolerance. So hands down, the movie for me! Even though it's still only an OK zombie movie ;)

Image Sources: Goodreads.com

4 comments:

  1. I don't really know what you mean by preachy. Your complaint about why didn't anyone else think of that can be a criticism to a lot of other books as well. Why does anyone challenge the status quo in their society? It's easy to just let things go as they are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just my opinion. It was still great writing but I just didn't like how he came across on his metaphysical approach to where the zombie "virus" came from.

      I love people questioning the status quo...I just didn't like how he did it is all. But I'd still recommend the book. It just didn't speak to me.

      Delete
  2. Wow, the movie is better?! That's rare.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted to read this, but I think I'll just watch the movie :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.