Monday, December 14, 2009

Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane

I saw the previews for this one and I got really excited about it, so I thought I'd head out and buy the book and read it! I'm glad I did. This was a really fast-paced novel and I got through it pretty quickly.

Back jacket description: The year is 1954. U.S. Marshal Teddy Daniels and his new partner, Chuck Aule, have come to Shutter Island, home of Ashecliffe Hospital for the Criminally Insane, to investigate the disappearance of a patient. Multiple murderess Rachel Solando is loose somewhere on this remote and barren island, despite having been kept in a locked cell under constant surveillance. As a killer hurricane bears relentlessly down on them, a strange case takes on even darker, more sinister shades -- with hints of radical experimentation, horrifying surgeries, and lethal countermoves made in the cause of a covert shadow war. No one is going to escape Shutter Island unscathed, because nothing at Ashecliffe Hospital is what it seems. But then neither is Teddy Daniels.
This book has a lot of twists and turns and until the very end I should've clued in but I didn't. Some smarter people will probably get it before it's over, but I enjoyed the psychological ride. But this book is not for the faint of heart. It has language galore, such as the F-bomb and their are some pretty graphic visualizations of crimes, sex, etc. But if you can enjoy a story for its story then check this one out. I won't be seeing the movie since I know that it will contain some pretty graphic violence and language and reading it in a book is one thing, but seeing it on a big screen is quite another! So enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I agree that the violence in a book is a little immediate than seeing it on a big screen. Wonder why that is? I enjoy a smart crime thriller; I'll be looking this one up. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I listened to this one last year and didn't figure out the end either. I'm looking forward to the movie just to see if my husband can figure it out before the end :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.