Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Top Ten Tuesday-- Books I Loved With Fewer Than 2,000 Ratings on Goodreads



1. Moral Combat: Black Atheists, Gender Politics, and the Values Wars by Sikivu Hutchinson with only 123 ratings. I read this back in 2013. I remember enjoying Hutchinson's thoughts and experiences on being black and an atheist and how she uses those experiences to help out her community. It was one of my top books that year.


2. Jane Austen For Dummies by Joan Elizabeth Klingel Ray with 525 ratings. I loved the quick and concise history and ideas about Jane Austen and her Regency world. She even broke down the books and put them into context. It was a fascinating read back in 2009!


3. Parenting Beyond Belief: On Raising Ethical, Caring Kids Without Religion by Dale McGowan with 1,567 ratings. This was a fantastic resource as I was leaving my religion and was looking for some guidance after my son was born. It's one I turn to again and again.


4. Flow: The Cultural Story of Menstruation by Elissa Stein with 1,523 ratings. I loved the history of how society has dealt with women's menstruation. The various products that have been created are astounding. It's so fascinating. I loved it.


5. Bitter Fruit: The Story of the American Coup in Guatemala by Stephen S. Schlesinger and Stephen Kinzer with 1,059 ratings. I read this one in college and it blew my mind. It was an excellent and disturbing account of the role America has had and continues to have in Latin America.


6. The Science of Liberty: Democracy, Reason, and the Laws of Nature by Timothy Ferris with 441 ratings. I read this one a few years ago. It basically describes why liberal democracies are the best societies to promote tolerance and science and thus freedom. It seems like a timely read. I highly recommend it. It hasn't been read enough.


7. Intimations of Austen: Stories Inspired by the Works of Jane Austen by Jane Greensmith with 89 ratings. I loved these sweet short stories. They are a treasure.

3 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of these, which is no great surprise I guess :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard of any of these! I didn't know they had a dummies book for Austen, ha!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.