Tuesday, February 19, 2019

Academy Awards-- Best Animated Film and Best Documentary Nominations

Best Animated Film


"Incredibles 2"
Starring: Holly Hunter, Craig T. Nelson, Sarah Vowell
Directed by: Brad Bird
Written by: Brad Bird
Genre: children/sci-fi/fantasy
4/5 stars
Watched: in theater and own

I enjoyed the first movie a little more but this one still has heart and action. It's definitely high on the list.


Starring: Bryan Cranston, Koyu Rankin, Edward Norton
Directed by: Wes Anderson
Written by: Wes Anderson
Genre: animated/drama/fantasy
?/5 stars
Watched: HBO

I have mixed feelings about Wes Anderson but I have enjoyed a film or two of his and this one is about a boy trying to find his lost dog. So I'm hoping for more heart. It's on HBO so I'm planning on getting to this one before the Oscars.


Starring: Rebecca Hall, Daniel Dae Kim, John Cho
Directed by: Mamoru Hosoda
Written by: Mamoru Hosoda
Genre: Animation/Fantasy
?/5 stars
Watched: TBA

This is a Japanese film that's pretty recent. So I'm not sure if I'll be able to get it before the Oscars but I know I'll enjoy it once I'm able to see it. 


Starring: Sarah Silverman, John C. Reilly, Gal Gadot
Directed by: Phil Johnston, Rich Moore
Written by: Phil Johnston and Pamela Ribon
Genre: Animation/Children/Fantasy
3.5/5 stars
Watched: in theater

Overall, this was a solid sequel. They had a great bit with the Disney princesses that was comic gold.


Starring: Shameik Moore, Jake Johnson, Hailee Steinfeld
Directed by: Bob Persichetti, Peter Ramsay
Written by: Phil Lord, Rodney Rothman
Genre: Animated/Fantasy
?/5 stars
Watched: TBA

It's not playing anymore in my area but if I can find a way to see it before the Oscars I'll be very happy. It was on my list in December but the holidays pulled me from the movie theaters.

I'm hoping to see 3/5 animated features before the Oscars!

Best Documentary


Directed by: Jimmy Chin and Elizabeth Chai Vasarhelyi
?/5 stars
Watched: TBA

Alex Honnold attempts to scale Yosemite's 3000 ft high El Capitan wall without any safety gear.

I don't know if I'll get to this one before the Oscars but I definitely want to see it! Looks intense.


Directed by: RaMell Ross
4.5/5 stars
Watched: PBS

I enjoyed this intimate look at the Black community in Hale County, Alabama.


Directed by: Bing Liu
?/5 stars
Watched: Hulu

I definitely plan on seeing this on Hulu. It looks like it might be a tear-jerker.


Directed by: Talal Derki
?/5 stars
Watched: TBA

Talal Derki returned home and gained the trust of a radical Islamist family. Derki was able to document their lives for two years. 

I'm not sure if I'll be able to watch this one. It's probably one I should watch but I don't think I can right now.


"RBG"
Directed by: Julie Cohen, Betsy West
?/5 stars
Watched: Hulu

Hulu has two of these I need to watch! I love me some RBG so I'll definitely be watching this before the Oscars.

I should have 3/5 watched before the Oscars!

5 comments:

  1. I've only seen Incredibles 2, but it was a fun movie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a good one. They did a great job with their sequel!

      Delete
  2. I've only seen two of the animated and none of the docs!! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was hoping to get more in but a lot of the movies are to buy only or not out on video quite yet. Oh well. I'll see most of them eventually!

      Delete
  3. I missed the Oscars. I will have to look up who won.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.