Friday, January 31, 2014

Before I Go to Sleep, Shatter Me, Hunted (Mini Book Reviews)

Image Source
Before I Go to Sleep by S.J. Watson:

This book was 50 First Dates and Memento's love child. It was a great thriller with quite a few plot holes but it's so fast-paced I didn't mind them too much. Looks like this is going to be a new movie this year as well. Starring Nicole Kidman and Colin Firth! Woot!



Shatter Me by Teherah Mafi:

I read this for Misty's (from Book Rat) Wednesday YA book club.


Image Source
It's a unique book. Mafi writes this as first person stream-of-consciousness. It's odd and off-putting. It's really a romance thrown into a dystopic setting. She uses the dystopic world to throw out a few jabs about how evil humans are for killing the world but for the most part it's second fiddle to her love triangle with the hero Adam and the evil villain Warren. Overall, it's an interesting story and since the books are pretty short, I think I may pick up the rest of the series just to see how it all ends. But it didn't hold me. There weren't a lot of stand out characters or storyline to keep me hanging on the whole time. There were a few action scenes but overall it just left me unimpressed.


Hunted by Kevin Hearne:

Image Source
This is the 6th book in the Iron Druid Chronicles. I've reviewed the first 5 here, here, and here.

The Greek and Roman goddesses Dianna and Athena are after Atticus and Granuile and their Irish wolfhound Oberon. Lots of fighting, death, new alliances and old ones come into play.

Once again I adore Hearne's way of bringing mythology to life in such a glorious and funny and creative way.


2 comments:

  1. Well alrighty - if a book's so good you can overlook plot holes, then I need to make room for it on the wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will get to Before I Go To Sleep at some point I'm sure. I don't mind holes if it's a fast read.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.