Sunday, January 26, 2014

A Week With Gabe

Sometimes I do fun stuff with Gabe so sometimes I'll post those rare moments :)

Last Monday was Martin Luther King Jr. Day and I wanted to at least introduce Gabe to him and the Civil Right's Movement. I did a bit of searching and Pinterest came through for me.

I showed him this video:



It's a great introduction for kids. Gabe was absorbed.  We talked a little about how people are different but how we are all the same on the inside and our differences are what make living in the world so awesome. We also talked about a bit about how he could help others who were feeling left out because they were a bit different.

Then we made art that helped bring it all together.

2014-01-20 19.23.15


2014-01-20 19.24.09


We drew an outline of his hands and then colored and outlined them. Inside the card we cut out a paper chain of people and Gabe painted them and we glued googly eyes on. He colored a rainbow and talked about what his dreams were to help make the world better and more tolerant place.

My dream: Share with friends, love everyone, and invite them to play.

There's a fine balance between introducing Gabe to pretty heavy topics without making them to daunting and still make the topic understandable. I hope it allows him to think and to ask questions and to eventually want change the world for better one day!

2014-01-20 19.25.18.edit



2 comments:

  1. What a great mom you are! I never would have thought about crafting for MLK day. I can share the video later and see what he thinks. I'll tell him there's a train in it and he has to find it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's hard to start these conversations when children are young but much easier than springing all of the horrors of the world on them when they are older without any forewarning.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.