Saturday, March 26, 2011

Wish by Alexandra Bullen

Genre: young adult, fantasy
FTC Disclosure: Nookbook from Barnes and Noble
Published: 2010
Pages: 256
Content: Nothing offensive.
 
I really liked this one. It was different and that is definitely good in the inundated market that is YA fiction.

Olivia has just moved to San Francisco with her parents after the death of her twin sister Violet. She's devastated and is trying to find a way to fit in at her new school and deal with her sister being gone. The author takes us back a bit so we get to know Violet...as the exact opposite of Olivia. Violet was outgoing and fun, she had all the friends and the great fashion sense.

Olivia eventually finds Violet's last dress she bought and decides to wear that for her mom's party, only it has a rip and needs to be mended. This takes her to Posey's shop. She's the modern-day fairy godmother! Olivia gets three dresses to make three wishes with.

Mayhem ensues when she wishes her sister back...as a ghost along with the other two wishes.

I enjoyed the sisters' interaction, how Violet tried to help Olivia get friends and the new boyfriend. It was a cute story about moving on and learning to live.

Rating: 4/5 stars

Other Covers:

German version

Polish version
Paperback English version
So which one do you like best? I like the overall design of the Polish cover but the model looks like she has a baby bump starting and she looks really annoyed with those rolling eyes! The German version is simple and pretty. I also like the paperback version with a closeup and the disappearing sparkles for her dress.

My pick would be the German cover! But all are pretty in their own way.

3 comments:

  1. Great review. I think I will like this book. The German is cover is cute and that dress is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought the same thing abiut the baby bump! I like the US cover. This story sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review. I have this on my Kindle. I just haven't had time to get to it. I like all the covers but I think the German version is the prettiest too. :o)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.