Sunday, May 23, 2010

Sworn to Silence by Linda Castillo

Genre: mystery, crime fiction
FTC Disclosure: library
Published: 2009
Pages: 321
Content: R for language and gruesome violence

Description from Goodreads.com: In the sleepy rural town of Painters Mill, Ohio, the Amish and “English” residents have lived side by side for two centuries. But sixteen years ago, a series of brutal murders shattered the peaceful farming community. In the aftermath of the violence, the town was left with a sense of fragility, a loss of innocence. Kate Burkholder, a young Amish girl, survived the terror of the Slaughterhouse Killer but came away from its brutality with the realization that she no longer belonged with the Amish.

Now, a wealth of experience later, Kate has been asked to return to Painters Mill as Chief of Police. Her Amish roots and big city law enforcement background make her the perfect candidate. She’s certain she’s come to terms with her past—until the first body is discovered in a snowy field. Kate vows to stop the killer before he strikes again. But to do so, she must betray both her family and her Amish past—and expose a dark secret that could destroy her.

This is more of a CSI type mystery along the lines of Patricia Cornwell and Kathy Reichs. So I do enjoy these very much. But it wasn't the best. The ending was a bit anti-climatic and it didn't have as much punch as I was hoping for. I didn't quite get some of the characters, but the main character was interesting. She's a semi-tough sheriff who grew up Amish, so that makes for an intriguing plot device. It's a decent mystery/thriller novel and worth one read.

Rating: 3/5 stars

4 comments:

  1. This one has came up as an Amazon recommendation lately, I had considered it but maybe not now.

    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Amish background sounds interesting. Too bad the book wasn't better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thriller, mystery aren't genres I normally read and when I do read those two the book must've looked good. :) I think I will not try this one, but I do like CSI!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since I don't live too far from the huge Amish population here in Ohio I know I'll get to this one eventually. Glad to here it's a pretty good mystery.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.