Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl by Harriet Jacobs

Genre: non-fiction, memoir, African-American studies, Women studies
FTC Disclosure: bought from Barnes and Noble
Published: 1861
Pages: 229
Content: PG-13 for violence
Reading Challenges: Women Unbound Challenge, Black History Month Mini Reading Challenge


It's really surprising that this book was published in the late 1800s and by a black woman, no less! Yeah, for abolitionists! It was a terrorizing account of Harriet Jacobs experience as a slave in the American South and what she did to get to freedom and guarantee the freedom of her children. She was very heroic and went through so many things both physically, spiritually, mentally, and emotionally. Though, the account is tragic it ends with hope and inspiration.

It just kept hitting me that this was a true story...it took me awhile to get through it because of the theme. I feel it's important to remember our history so we can learn and thus make the world better. I highly recommend this one for any who have a love of history, especially the seedy side. Well, I recommend it for everyone...

Rating: 4/5

5 comments:

  1. I need to read these stories to be reminded of how far we've come. It's too bad some people can never seem to get past the hate, you know?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a really good book to read to get a sense of the reality of slavery. I especially like that it was written by a woman, since women faced even more horrific treatment than the men did in slavery (IMO).

    ReplyDelete
  3. this sounds like a "must read"--enjoyed your review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also reviewed this on my site and found it haunting and an absolute must read. The things she had to endure were terrible. Great review, keep up the good work!

    Kate the Book Buff
    http://www.thebookbuff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. It really is amazing that this was ever published. Sounds fascinating. Is the background new or have I been out of it?! I like it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.