Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Bleeding Violet by Dia Reeves

Genre: young adult, paranormal, romance, mental illness
FTC Disclosure: borrowed from library
Published: 2010
Pages: 464
Content: R for language and violence
Reading Challenges: 2010 Young Adult Reading Challenge

What can I say? This book is unlike any book I've ever read! It was so wacky and crazy and fun. It really can't be compared to any other book.

Hanna is mentally ill and has just run away from her Aunt's in order to escape the death of her father and to find her mother Rosalee. Hanna's hallucinations become real once she enters her mother's town of Portero where nothing is as it seems.

She falls in love with Wyatt who's part of the local "we kill all things that go bump in the night" gang. And there is plenty of that...giant blood-sucking leeches, haunted houses, possessed mothers, mysterious doors, Hanna's dead father coming back as a ghost....it's all there!

Her romance with Wyatt feels pretty real. They have their ups and downs and yet still manage to come out on top. She's also a really strong female character and those are always nice. And I really enjoyed that Hanna wasn't white; she's biracial and has a different perspective. Also Wyatt is part Latino. It's nice to find some diversity, especially in teen fiction when it's usually all about white boys and girls. And the cover is just lovely!

The only thing I have against this is that it's targeted toward a teen audience. The book says 14 and up...I'd say more like 18 and up. There's a lot of sex, language and violence in this one. Not something I would want my teenager reading if I had one. It's definitely an adult book and not one for the squeamish sort!

Rating: 4/5

5 comments:

  1. I've seen this around and was wondering about it. Great review. I will have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book. Glad you did to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like a good one. i like the ethnicity mix mentioned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked and disliked this. And totally agree on the 18+

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one sounds interesting. I like quirky.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.