Sunday, February 21, 2010

Game Change by John Heilemann and Mark Halperin

Genre: non-fiction, politics
FTC Disclosure: bought from Costco
Published: 2009
Pages: 436
Content: R for language/excessive use of the f-word
Reading Challenges: A to Z Challenge (Author H)


One Line Summary: The ins and outs, ups and downs of the historic 2008 presidential election.

I loved this book! It was so insightful and it's one of those non-fiction books that reads like a novel. It was so intriguing to find out the inner workings of the McCainworld, Hillarlyland, and the Obamans. It made me very glad that I've never had any desire for public office. Politics is a brutal world and you have to have pretty thick skin to go anywhere within it.

McCain was an interesting person to learn more about...I learned he has quite the mouth on him (maybe due to his military time), and some anger issues...but that could be a result of being tortured and held hostage for a bit...I also came to feel a bit of sympathy for Sarah Palin. The choice to have her as McCain's running mate was a rash decision that really destroyed Palin. His campaign people pretty much left her out to dry once they found out more about her and the press attacked her relentlessly.

I also became really glad that John Edwards didn't make too much of a splash this time around. Not the most upstanding guy in politics or Rudy Guiliani, for that matter....

It was great to see how Obama's campaign people pulled it all together to get the win. There were a lot of bumps and bruises on the way, especially with Hillary and Bill Clinton. It was all out war between him and them. I was glad to see some of the reparation that happened after Obama became president and she accepted her post as Secretary of State.

This was a fast-paced, informative book and I loved every minute of it. It's amazing to get insight into this historic presidential race. Pick it up and give it a read, you won't be sorry!

Rating: 4.5/5

3 comments:

  1. I'm a political junkie, so I really need to read this book. I'm not sure about feeling sympathy for Palin though, we'll see :)
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stacy, it was just a twinge of sympathy! A minute amount!!! I think you'll really enjoy this one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to have to get a hold of this one. Obama ran such a great campaign--I just wish he'd have brought that same great strategy to the presidency. Hilary's people really underestimated the country's mood.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.