Monday, January 11, 2021

Week-in-Review: 2021 Is Not What I Expected...

OK so WTH 2021? Talk about a crazy week here in the States...I was seriously so stressed out. The 20th can't come soon enough! I'm making it a holiday in my house. Balloons, cake, wine, and fun!

2021-01-08 14.46.41We're still building my mother a wheelchair ramp. It's coming along and I'm really proud of my hubby's work. We are almost done and I have had nothing but ramp and my mother on my brain so my blogging has really fallen to the side, unfortunately.  

2021-01-08 14.46.27 I am so far behind on book reviews...I'm not even sure it's worth trying to do a mini book review post but maybe I'll just highlight the books I enjoyed the most over December...

I had a post planned for my favorite movies of 2020...but I don't think that is happening either.

We got two puzzles finished from Christmas: cute kitty pitties. Oh and one mystery one we did the day after Christmas.

2021-01-06 15.47.12

2021-01-09 22.02.32 

I'm still reading and trying to keep track better and plan ahead. I'm hoping I'll have a more focused reading year but who knows!!! My reading challenges this year consist of nonfiction, classics, and horror! 

2021-01-10 09.51.34
Nala getting warm on the bookshelf

Grateful Things:

1. So happy the coup didn't work and our nation is still holding.
2. Our wheelchair ramp is really working out and look forward to finishing it soon.
3. We've had cold but sunny weather in which to work on said ramp.
4. Bridgerton on Netflix.

Reading:


I have finished 10 books since January 1st! Granted of those 10 six are children's books I read aloud with G, 2 are graphic novels I read each in one night, and two are actual adult-sized books...

Zen Ghosts is our favorite but all the others are really good.

I'm going to highly recommend the children books from Jon J. Muth, the Zen series. I think I have picked up every one he's written to date and they are excellent books on mindfulness, handling life and death, and everything in between. He illustrates each one with beautiful water colors. A couple are based on old stories from Buddhism as well like Stone Soup. Me and my little family have enjoyed them immensely over the years and we reread them at least yearly.

I got the rest of the collection for Christmas this year and we've had fun catching up and rereading the old ones. One of the only great starts for 2021....


  • Shirley and Jamila Save Their Summer by Gillian Goerz--super cute graphic novel middle grade mystery series. Looking forward to reading the rest as they come out.
  • Class Act by Jerry Craft--This is second book from the New Kid series. This one focuses more on Drew, Jordan's best friend. As always this continues to talk about the ever pervasive racism kids of color experience from so-called friends and teachers at school.



Catherine House by Elisabeth Thomas--This was my first adult book finished of the year. Not my favorite but it was OK.


The End of Everything (Astrophysically Speaking)
by Katie Mack--My first nonfiction book of the year. This was strangely cathartic about how the universe may or may not end at any time or trillions upon trillions of years into the future. And philosophically speaking what does it mean for humanity and its legacy if it all ends anyway? What a fun read!



I'm reading The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey (one of my winter reads), The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America's Great Migration by Isabel Wilkerson, and You Never Forget Your First: A Biography George Washington by Alexis Coe(for my Nonfiction Reading Challenge biography category).

Classics that I'm reading: Still working on Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. I'm enjoying taking my time here. It's been a long time and it's the perfect classic to read as the weather gets chilly and the holidays approach. 


Philosophy:
I finished off At the Existentialist Cafe last month and now we are onto The Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir! 

Listening to:

I've been catching up on news and podcasts. I hope to continue with a couple of audiobooks soon, though.


  Watching:

Movies:

Fun but not as good as I was hoping.



TV:                           


Currently watching the new 4th season!

Yes to this series. Just what I needed to start the year off!



Making: 

Not much, unfortunately. Basic soups and easy foods. Just been working too hard on the ramp and don't have much energy for cooking.

Looking forward to finishing the ramp this week. If not this week definitely next!

Joining in with Readerbuzz's Sunday Salon

 

16 comments:

  1. Little Women was one of my favorites growing up. I just watched the latest movie version and loved it. WW84 wasn't as good as I had hoped either. Seemed it was targeted to a younger audience. Enjoy your reading this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched a version of Little Women I didn't just love! Thanks for stopping by. I hope you have a great week too!

      Delete
  2. It really has been an awful week. It's sure a scary time.

    I love the kitty puzzle. How cute.

    I saw WW84 too. I thought the same way you did. Cute, but not great.

    Hope you have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scary times, indeed.

      Kitty puzzles are a favorite in our house! I hope you have a great week too.

      Delete
  3. Oh Gosh! Those puzzles are gorgeous! So nice! I hope you are going to do something with them.

    I guess I should start watching Bridgerton.....

    Have a good week Heather and I hope you finish that ramp soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we definitely want to modge podge the puzzle when we have some room on the walls. We plan on moving in the next year or so. So we'll put it back together again and hang it up!

      Yes to Bridgerton!

      Thank you! We're getting really close to finishing. I'll post final pics when it's done!

      Delete
  4. You've got so much going on now, I think you should just forget all the blogging "shoulds" and go on from here. No need for extra pressure! I like the idea of having a party on the 20th... let's all pray we get there safely. I need to watch Bridgerton soon, too. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, JoAnn! That's very sweet. I'm excited about having a little party for the Inauguration. It's something to look forward to. I just hope there isn't any violence that day...

      I hope you enjoy Bridgerton! It was just what I needed to start off the new year!

      Delete
  5. I like the idea of making the 20th a holiday. Is it too late for me to ask my boss for the day off? LOL I am glad the ramp is coming along well. My uncle had to build one for my grandmother years ago and it was surprising how much work went into it--making sure all the measurements were right, the slope just so.

    I binged on Bridgerton yesterday and watched the first five episodes. It's such a fun show. I am enjoying it.

    I hope you have a great week, Heather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? I can't believe how much planning and measuring and math is all involved. I'm just the assistant!

      I hope you enjoy the rest of Bridgerton! Have a great week too!

      Delete
  6. I have been nervous as a cat since last Wednesday. All I can think about are worries for the future. Still people continue to support that man in the WH?

    I have not tried Bridgerton yet, but we plan to do so.

    You are reading two books I've enjoyed: Snow Child and Warmth. The End of Everything sounds pretty bleak and depressing, but maybe it's uplifting because it's so far in the future?

    Good luck with the ramp. Doing a project now is the one thing that times my mind off the scary things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The End of Everything just put things into perspective for me. I enjoy stuff like that...lol.

      Ramp should be done by the end of the weekend!

      Delete
  7. WTF is right about the U.S. Enough to give one a heart attack. My mind has been swirling ever since Jan. 6. Good luck on the ramp! That's so amazing that you & your husband are constructing it. Hope your Mom will put it to good use. That cat puzzle looks fun. BTW, how is Nala doing these days?! Getting into mischief? Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nala is doing really well! We should be able to get her meds reduced and hopefully completely gone over the next few months. And hopefully no more seizures!

      Delete
  8. I'm afraid to make the 20th an event. It was hard to watch the Capitol insurrection live with Gage. We'll see. I'm leaning toward not even turning the tv on. I want to wake up in the 21st with a new President and hope for a brighter future. Everything before that is making me crazy. Yes, to Bridgerton. It was the perfect way to start the year. LOVE the cat puzzle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you! I was wondering about it myself but I'm just holding out hope and need something to celebrate. Nothing much. I'm thinking of yummy cupcakes and a few balloons.

      We got some fun cat puzzles for Christmas. We really enjoy putting them together as a family. It's like the one thing we can do right now without getting too annoyed with each other! lol.

      Delete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.