Monday, January 11, 2021

2021 Nonfiction Reading Challenge List


Here are some ideas for my Nonfiction Challenge from Book'd Out this year. Not sure if I'll read all of these or find completely different ones that fit each category but this list means I at least have ideas so I have no excuses!

1. Biography

Ida: A Sword Among Lions by Paula Giddings

The Dead Are Arising: The Life of Malcolm X by Les Payne

You Never Forget Your First: A Biography of George Washington by Alexis Coe

2. Travel

Tracks by Robyn Davidson 

A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson

The Salt Path by Raynor Winn

3. Self-help

I have a couple Brene Brown I was thinking about.

4. Essay Collection

Zadie Smith, Samantha Irby, Rebecca Solnit, Toni Morrison

Wow, No Thank You by Samantha Irby

5. Disease

The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat and Other Clinical Tales by Oliver Sacks

Great Influenza by John M. Barry

Emperor of all Maladies by Siddhartha Mukherjee

6. Oceanography

The Sea Around Us by Rachel Carson

Deep: Freediving, Renegade Science, and What the Ocean Tells Us About Ourselves by James Nestor

The Soul of an Octopus: A Surprising Exploration into the Wonder of Consciousness by Sy Montgomery

7. Hobbies

One of my crochet books, survival books I own/camping.

8. Indigenous Cultures

Fifth Sun: A New History of the Aztecs by Camilla Townsend

1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus by Charles C. Mann

Heartbeat of Wounded Knee: Native America from 1890 to the Present by David Treuer

9. Food

Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain

Cork Dork by Biana Bosker

Wine Girl by Victoria James

Blood, Bones, & Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton

10. Wartime experiences

A Woman in Berlin: Eight Weeks in the Conquered City by Anonymous

Last Witnesses: An Oral History of the Children of World War II by Svetlana Alexievich

The Unwomanly Face of War by Svetlana Alexievich

11. Inventions

Broad Band: The Untold Story of Women Who Made the Internet by Claire L. Evans

Longitude: The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of His Time by Dava Sobel

12. Published in 2021

400 Souls: A Community of History of African America, 1619-2019 edited by Ibram X. Kendi and Keisha N. Blain

Cosmic Queries: StarTalk's Guide to Who We Are, How We Got Here, and Where We're Going by Neil deGrasse Tyson and James Trefil

Noise: How to Overcome the High, Hidden Cost of Inconsistent Decision Making by Daniel Kahneman, Olivier Sibony, and Cass Sunstein

4 comments:

  1. I'm impressed you read a lot of nonfiction each year. Deep reads too, not just memoirs! Of all these you mention, I think I'm most interested in the Malcolm X biography ... I wouldn't mind rereading his Autobiography. Such an interesting icon in the movement. Good luck with your goals & reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to that one this year! I read Manning Marable's book on Malcolm X a few years ago and loved it so I'm hoping this one is just as informative.

      Delete
  2. You have great options to choose from - good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited! It should be a great reading year!

      Delete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.