Saturday, April 18, 2020

One More Week...

I am so incredibly lucky that my family can stay home during this time to quarantine. There are so many right now who are just struggling to find food for their families. For an already divided America, this pandemic only deepens that divide.

I live in a state where we have never gotten a stay-at-home order other than a voluntary stay home and stay safe directive which is not the same thing. But even with that rural communities have been complaining loud to our governor that he should reopen everything and quick. Which is completely against the data and science and health experts! I guess once it hits their communities they'll start to understand how terrible this pandemic is. It's so frustrating to see opinions in the paper about how our freedoms are being taken away for nothing and yet if I went to these people about my freedoms over bodily autonomy are being routinely taken away, they wouldn't even bat an eye. It's so frustrating.

So I look to see where we can help out. I can stay at home, I can wear masks out in public, I can give money and time locally where I'm needed. And I can support the experts who are telling us what we need to do in order to reopen the economy instead of relying on the opinions of people who have no clue about reality. I read this article in The Atlantic this morning on what it's going to take to reopen and what our summer is going to look like. The author lays it out with clarity. We're in this for the long-haul and we need to be prepared.

On a more positive note, it's been a bit warmer the last couple of days so got out for some more walks and let the cats out for some spring air and sun. We even did an obstacle course outside to keep fit! I need to get the kiddo moving with no friends and playgrounds and recesses, etc.

2020-04-18 08.17.55


And my daffodils are blooming and more tulips keep popping up as well. I did not originally plant daffodils in this area a few years ago but they keep seeding in different spots each year. It's kind of fun to see where the flowers pop up each spring!

2020-04-18 12.01.55

Books: I finished off two books this week! Yay! Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman and Children of the Longhouse by Joseph Bruchac. I didn't know how to feel about Eleanor in the beginning but I loved it by the end. It went where I was hoping it'd go and it ended up being quite a little gem there by the end.

2020-04-18 12.01.44Children of the Longhouse is one I read with G. I'm doing a little history reading with him which includes both fiction and non-fiction and this book is a historical fiction written about the Iroquois people and specifically the Longhouse people. It is very well-written with detail, characters, world-building all packed into one story. Beautiful. Even DH listened to it while working from home in the next room!
I'm still reading through Spillover: Animal Infections and the Next Human Pandemic by Daniel Quammen, Betraying Spinoza: The Renegade Jew Who Gave Us Modernity by Rebecca Goldstein, Emma by Jane Austen, The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness, Spark and the League of Ursus by Robert Repino with G before bed. And I am still listening to Deathless Divide by Justina Ireland. I also started The Sagas of the Icelanders that I'm reading for the 1000 Book Challenge with Michelle. I'd also really like to start The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires by Grady Hendrix this week.

Watching: Lots of random stuff this week. Still working on my Language Families of the World in Great Course Plus. Still watching Star Trek: Picard on CBS All Access. I even started the Good Wife. I have two episodes left of Altered Carbon with DH this weekend.

The best thing I've seen so far this week has been Phantom of the Opera on the YouTube channel The Show Must Go On. Absolutely amazing performance and fun encore performances for after. If you have not seen it go and do it now! It's only available today, Saturday the 18th!

G and I have been watching Ellen DeGeneres's Game of Games. We've enjoyed how utterly light and fun it is!

Movies? None this week. But I'm hoping to watch Gretel and Hansel this weekend and maybe Hulu's Into the Dark horror movie for April.

This week: I did not bake this week. I was pretty worn out. But I'm planning on making some cookies this afternoon. Fingers crossed!

Looking forward to the One World Together at Home Concert this afternoon and evening! Warmer temps and getting to some spring cleaning this week!

*Linking up with Sunday Salon over at Readerbuzz.

12 comments:

  1. Hi. glad you reminded me of the Global Concert going on .... I have it on YouTube playing. Nice response! I'm glad you liked the Oliphant novel -- I did too. At first it's quite harsh ... but luckily it gets happier at the end. I agree it's premature right now to Open the lockdown totally ... that will just make matters worse. They need to prepare before that happens. Have a safe week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoyed the Global Concert. It was a great time. Me and DH loved it! I hope you have a safe week too.

      Delete
  2. Your comparison to the recent protests and complaints about our freedoms being taken away and their wanting to limit and take away our bodily autonomy is spot on. It is so frustrating. So many are suffering financially right now, and the hardships that are likely to result from all of this is likely to only get worse. I can appreciate that. But I think the fallout of what will happen if we don't take severe measures to try and slow down the spread of the virus will be so much worse in its own way. People are being so stupid about this. Not that I have a strong opinion or anything. LOL

    I love your kitties! I really like the obstacle course idea and may have to do that. A friend and fellow blogger mentioned creating a chalk one on her sidewalk and invited family and neighbors to take part (taking into account social distancing--and not all at once, of course). Maybe when the weather gets better, my daughter and I can do something similar. Honestly, right now I am struggling to balance work and schooling at the same time, and hoping my hair doesn't all go gray in the meantime.

    My reading is still taking a hit with everything going on, but I am glad it doesn't seem to be impacting everyone else. You've got a lot going right now.

    I hope you have a good week. Stay safe and well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have another friend who did the sidewalk obstacle course as well and saw her family come by and use it while they watched from the house. I hope the weather improves where you're at so you can get some sunshine and air! I hope you have a safe week as well!

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you liked Eleanor, it was about much more than I first realized. Loved it. I am getting so sick of cooking. Well, really I am more tired of all of the extra dirty dishes. I spent 85% of my waking hours in this kitchen :( I am frustrated with the protesters right now too, and I am generally supportive of protests. If we are in the same place in 6 months, lockdown-wise, then I'd be okay, but right now they just seem like extreme Trump henchmen trying to intimidate. We had protests at the Columbus statehouse this week too. Wanna guess why Trump didn't call for Ohio to 'liberate' itself? We have a Republican governor. It's all sad, but we will be staying in as much as possible even when Ohio starts to open back up in May. It is hard with our only boys though, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here in my state... but the one lone Republican senator who didn't get asked to be on the financial task force... Mitt Romney. So frustrating. We'll also be staying in as much as possible even as things slightly reopen. I have absolutely no idea how it'll all play out over the next few months. It is hard with our only boys. Lots of entertaining but also balancing out how much electronic time is too much? It's tough. Hugs to you and yours. Have a safe and happy week!

      Delete
  4. I just finished reading The Splendid and the Vile. Churchill's leadership during the Blitz was incredibly inspiring for the British. He told things like they were, yet he was also hopeful. People would be bombed all night and then get up the next morning and go to work. Amazing story.

    I'm so glad you liked Eleanor Oliphant. Eleanor felt like a real person to me, one of those sorts who ruins her own life and doesn't even realize it. The ending was perfect, I thought.

    I'm glad things are going fairly well for you and your family. Reading your post lifted my spirits. You are making the best of this situation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can complain but we are very lucky and I look to the silver linings in all of it. I wish you and yours a great and safe and healthy week with lots of book reading! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  5. I really liked Eleanor Oliphant, too... the audio version was excellent. The Atlantic has had some really great articles lately. Was considering letting my subscription lapse (seems like information overload sometimes) but have now decided to keep it up. I'm spending a ton of time cooking and that seems to keep me too busy to worry as much as I might otherwise. Hope you and your family have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been thinking of getting a subscription to the NY Times. I've been reading a lot of their coverage and they do have a special one year price of 4$ a month... And Atlantic has been a life-saver too. Glad you have some fun things keeping you busy right now! Have a great week. And stay safe and healthy!

      Delete
  6. They should be protesting the governments failure to support their citizens with universal health care and social/economic assistance,

    Wishing you a great reading week and good health

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I agree! Thanks for visiting and I hope you have a safe and healthy week with lots of reading.

      Delete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.