Monday, April 6, 2020

Weekly Update of the Quarantine of the Covid Nature

It's been really windy this week with a touch of extra cold for two days. And last Wednesday we had a power outage and internet loss. That day was a crapshoot for getting anything done. It's fixed. We're fine. But it made me realize I am not cut out (I mean I knew it already...) for an apocalypse where we lose power and the interwebs. Life ain't worth it. Feed me to the wolves and call it good.

But the temps are slowly rising. My hyacinths are blooming!

2020-04-01 15.43.15


2020-04-01 15.06.02

We got out for some scootering and walking. I gotta get outside and get some vitamin D.


2020-04-02 15.22.37


2020-04-03 16.05.53

I even tried my hand at an online DIY painting tutorial. It's not great but it was fun.


2020-04-03 19.44.13-1

We've been getting a lot of family game nights in!


2020-04-05 09.04.26-2

And this is how Shadow feels about all of us being here all the time!

I've been Marco Poloing with friends and family and it's really helped a lot. I got to have a cocktail night with my brunch group on Saturday. We all skyped in and had a fun drink and we just sat around at chatted for an hour or two!

Tuesday we're going to watch a movie together. One great thing has been the Arts starting to stream movies and plays and exhibits and performances online, sometimes free and sometimes for a fee. So Tuesday a movie is airing online that would normally be playing up in an Indie movie theater 45 miles from me. I've always wanted to take advantage of these things but life and proximity and other things have deterred me from doing it more often. So this has been wonderful to see things I normally wouldn't have experienced!

Andrew Lloyd Weber has announced he's streaming some of his broadway plays through the YouTube channel "The Shows Must Go On." I watched "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" Saturday afternoon and this next weekend will be "Jesus Christ Superstar." Another great resource I have come across is Open Culture. It's updating regularly and trying conglomerate what free resources are out there right now. 

And CBS All Access is giving a 30-day free trial with the code GIFT before April 23. I think I'll jump on that soon. I've been dying to watch "Picard" since it premiered.

The CDC has now recommended everyone where cloth masks when they're out in semi-crowded areas. For me, that would include the grocery stores. So I had to get a few things on Sunday and wore mine out and about. It freaked people out. They didn't quite know what to do with me. Some people acted surprised and others just tried to ignore me like I wasn't quite there and human. It was an odd and disconcerting experience Sunday. I know that it'll change as more people in my area decide to wear cloth masks, etc. But it was not a pleasant experience.

Books: I managed to finish The Histories by Herodotus! And G and I finished up The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman last night. I'm still listening to news podcasts to stay up-to-date. Through Scribd I'm listening to Deathless Divide by Justina Ireland. 

I'm still reading through Spillover: Animal Infections and the Next Human Pandemic by Daniel Quammen and Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman.

I started reading Imaginary Friend by Stephen Chobsky, Betraying Spinoza: The Renegade Jew Who Gave Us Modernity by Rebecca Goldstein, and Emma by Jane Austen. I also started rereading The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness. I read it a few years ago and loved it but never got around to finishing the series and Stacy at Stacy's Books just finished it reminded me to get back to it!

G and I have started reading An Indigenous Peoples' History of the United States For Young People by Roxanne Dunbar-Ortiz. I thought it would be a good idea to help supplement some of his history and social studies. It's been a great read so far with us having some great discussions.

Watching: I started Tiger King on Netflix but I have not made it passed the second episode... I just can't deal with the fact that the tiger and big cat trade is alive and well and insidious and I don't really want to know about the people involved. Yikes. I just can't right now.

G and I are still watching Brain Games on Disney Plus and Lego Masters on Hulu. We watched Onward last night on Disney Plus and it was way better than I was expecting! It's a very sweet and moving story about grief and family and loyalty. Super cute.

Basically, I'm just kind of nerding out on the Great Courses Plus right now. They have a two-week free trial and I'm watching their language family course with Dr. John McWhorter. I think I'll start binge-watching Star Trek: TNG this week and Picard. It's what I need.

This week: It's G's spring break this week and we were supposed to be camping in the Redwoods... but that is obviously not happening. So I'm trying to do a few educational things with him but also let him just chill with Minecraft and YouTube. We'll be doing a little rocket science later this week and if weather permits we have a rocket or two to light off! I'm hoping for sidewalk chalk shenanigans and more walks around the neighborhood and a start to some spring cleaning projects.

Baking bread is also happening this week; I'm not sure on the day yet, though. Crispy treats are also on the horizon!

Looking forward to a little downtime this week with G out of online school and Easter egg decorating and crepes for Easter weekend!

Any plans for Easter on your end? I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy.

*Linking up with Sunday Salon over at Readerbuzz.

12 comments:

  1. My cats are also annoyed at all of us being home. LOL We enjoyed Onward last weekend - that's why I finally got Disney+. Easter will be just another day here. Take care of you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting. Disney+ has really helped us out over the last couple of weeks with the kiddo being home.

      Delete
  2. Cute pictures. What part of the country are you in? Looks like the sun's out there. My, you read a lot of different books at once. The Eleanor Oliphant novel is pretty good .... read that one. It's hard when it's spring break .... and you can't go where you planned to. Hope you're all hanging in there & staying well. thx for visiting my blog recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! We're in Utah and the sun does its fair bit of shining out here! My mind wanders a lot so I end up reading a lot of different kinds and then settle into a couple til I finish. I hope you all stay healthy and safe as well!

      Delete
  3. At this point, I don't know what I'd do if we had a power outage. Yikes! I'm glad to hear it's fixed. I saw the commercials for Tiger King but I don't think that's a good thing for me to watch right now. Take care, stay safe and have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very stressful. It took me a couple of days to recover since I was so stressed out. Sleep went out the window for a couple of nights. I hope you have a great week too. Stay healthy and safe!

      Delete
  4. Sounds like you guys are adjusting well to the situation... so many activities, books, etc. I've been cooking and baking a lot, but it looks like flour is in short supply right now. Time to go back to reading, I guess. We enjoy the Great Courses, too. Beautiful spring flowers... that's the one thing I miss here in Florida. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Just trying to stay sane by keeping busy...

      Delete
  5. You sound like you are doing well. I keep reminding myself of the two weeks we spent in the summer heat after a hurricane came through here and knocked out the power. We had to make do with whatever we had in our houses. Of course we knew things would get back to normal in a relatively short time.

    I love the Great Courses. I should look for one of those to do right now.

    I am especially interested in the online painting for my d-in-law's mother. She had signed up to take a class that started this week. I will look and see if I can find something and share it with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scary with a hurricane! I can't even imagine what that would be like. First world problems for sure on my end... Great Courses is fantastic. I'm glad they lowered their prices recently so I'm giving them a go again!

      Delete
  6. I have some hyacinths popping up I think! We bought out house in August of last year so I can't wait to see what the previous owners had planted.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's always nice to see new things pop up that you didn't plant. That's what happened when we first moved in. Tulips everywhere!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.