Thursday, March 21, 2019

Goodreads Cleanup #1

HOW TO PARTICIPATE:

  • Go to your Goodreads to-read shelf
  • Order by Ascending Date Added
  • Take the first 5 (or 10 if you’re feeling adventurous) books. Of course if you do this weekly, you start where you left off the last time.
  • Read the synopses of the books
  • Decide: keep it or let it go?

This little challenge has been thought up by Stacy over at Stacy's Book Blog. She started it in December and have been meaning to start in on it. It's such a great idea. I have way to many books on my to-read shelf on Goodreads and it's a great way to look back and see what I started adding to my shelf way back when....

I'm gonna start off small and just hit the first 5 books on my to-read shelf. I joined up in June of 2009 and I had just gotten into book blogging so I hit a lot of it books right back then.



David Sacks has embarked on a fun, lively, and learned excursion into the alphabet–and into cultural history–in Letter Perfect. Clearly explaining the letters as symbols of precise sounds of speech, the book begins with the earliest known alphabetic inscriptions (circa 1800 b.c.), recently discovered by archaeologists in Egypt, and traces the history of our alphabet through the ancient Phoenicians, Greeks, and Romans and up through medieval Europe to the present day. But the heart of the book is the twenty-six fact-filled “biographies” of letters A through Z, each one identifying the letter’s particular significance for modern readers, tracing its development from ancient forms, and discussing its noteworthy role in literature and other media. We learn, for example, why letter X may have a sinister and sexual aura, how B came to signify second best, why the word mother in many languages starts with M. Combining facts both odd and essential, Letter Perfect is cultural history at its most accessible and enjoyable. 

I bought this one from a little independent bookstore on Main Street. It went out of business like two seconds later but I'm a Linguistics major so I was pulled by the history of writing and language. I still own it and have started it a few times but something else comes up and I let it go. I think it's a keeper because it still sounds fascinating to me. I just need to set aside time for it and stick with it.


Amir is the son of a wealthy Kabul merchant, a member of the ruling caste of Pashtuns. Hassan, his servant and constant companion, is a Hazara, a despised and impoverished caste. Their uncommon bond is torn by Amir's choice to abandon his friend amidst the increasing ethnic, religious, and political tensions of the dying years of the Afghan monarchy, wrenching them far apart. But so strong is the bond between the two boys that Amir journeys back to a distant world, to try to right past wrongs against the only true friend he ever had.

The unforgettable, heartbreaking story of the unlikely friendship between a wealthy boy and the son of his father’s servant, The Kite Runner is a beautifully crafted novel set in a country that is in the process of being destroyed. It is about the power of reading, the price of betrayal, and the possibility of redemption; and an exploration of the power of fathers over sons—their love, their sacrifices, their lies.

A sweeping story of family, love, and friendship told against the devastating backdrop of the history of Afghanistan over the last thirty years, The Kite Runner is an unusual and powerful novel that has become a beloved, one-of-a-kind classic.

I also own this one. But I know the storyline and it's tragic. A movie came out awhile ago and I watched it and I just bawled. So it's still on the list but I don't know....



The son of a zookeeper, Pi Patel has an encyclopedic knowledge of animal behavior and a fervent love of stories. When Pi is sixteen, his family emigrates from India to North America aboard a Japanese cargo ship, along with their zoo animals bound for new homes.
The ship sinks. Pi finds himself alone in a lifeboat, his only companions a hyena, an orangutan, a wounded zebra, and Richard Parker, a 450-pound Bengal tiger. Soon the tiger has dispatched all but Pi, whose fear, knowledge, and cunning allow him to coexist with Richard Parker for 227 days while lost at sea.

I've also started this one a couple of times and have dropped it. I didn't even see the movie yet because I wanted to read the book first...still undecided on this one.



Enzo knows he is different from other dogs: a philosopher with a nearly human soul (and an obsession with opposable thumbs), he has educated himself by watching television extensively, and by listening very closely to the words of his master, Denny Swift, an up-and-coming race car driver.
Through Denny, Enzo has gained tremendous insight into the human condition, and he sees that life, like racing, isn't simply about going fast. On the eve of his death, Enzo takes stock of his life, recalling all that he and his family have been through.
A heart-wrenching but deeply funny and ultimately uplifting story of family, love, loyalty, and hope, The Art of Racing in the Rain is a beautifully crafted and captivating look at the wonders and absurdities of human life ... as only a dog could tell it.
I have a friend who read this and really loved it. It's also on my shelf so I'd like to read it and pay it forward.

Here, in the only major one-volume collection of his writings, speeches, interviews, and autobiographical reflections, is Martin Luther King Jr. on non-violence, social policy, integration, black nationalism, the ethics of love and hope, and more.

I've had this one on my shelf for years. I don't know if I'll ever read all 702 pages. But I'd like to make a more concerted effort of his writing and speeches. It's a keeper.


For those of you reading this, what would you keep? Have you read any of these?


4 comments:

  1. I ended up listening to Kite Runner because I could never carve out time to read it, and that was a good way to experience the book. I often do that with books I'm iffy about and it works well.

    I also listened to Life of Pi because I knew I would never prioritize reading it.

    My SIL loved Art of Racing in the Rain but for the most part, I don't care for books like this, so never even tried.

    I like the idea of purging some books from GoodReads--some titles are mine list were impulse choices based on reading one review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so true. I do that as well. If I can't quite get through the physical book, knowing that I can listen to it makes such a difference.

      Delete
  2. Jason and I listened to Life of Pi on a road trip years back and he liked it way better than I did. I can't even remember if I bothered watching the movie. I read the graphic novel of Kite Runner last year so that might be the way to go? Such a disturbing story. I'm glad I 'read' it that way because I don't know if I would have made it through the book. I think I have the Art of Racing in the Rain on my list too. I remember a few people I knew raving about it.
    Also, I didn't come up with this. I linked up to where I saw it the first few times, but it got left out in the last few edits. I'll have to track it down again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for letting me know about the link. I can look up your first post on it and go from there! I think if I do read Kite Runner, it'll be in the graphic novel form. I love that they're putting a lot of classics into the graphic novel form. I think the Art of Racing in the rain is going to be my on my soon to be read list this next month!

      Delete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.