Saturday, January 23, 2021

Week-in-Review: Happy Inauguration!

While the worries will continue to creep back in, it was nice to watch the inauguration of President Biden and Vice President Harris. It was a beautiful morning and loved watching it. And very glad there was no violence.

2021-01-21 15.10.13

We made chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter frosting. I loved seeing Kamala Harris sworn in! And Amanda Gorman! Wow. Can't wait to see more from her! Gorgeous gorgeous morning. And who can forget Bernie and his mittens! And for some reason I could only find red balloons...so we blew those up and threw them around the living room, and scared Shadow, and celebrated with some champagne!





Things I'm Grateful For:

1. The Inauguration went off without a hitch and so many great memories!
2. My mom is doing a lot better and hopefully she'll be home early next week.
3. It's been sunny and unusually warm for January this week. It's been nice to soak up a little sun when I'm outside!

Reading:


I have finished 3 books since my last update! 

  • The Boy, the Mole, the Fox, and the Horse by Charlie Mackesy--I read this as an e-book but I'd really like to get a copy. It is a short but simple and yet truly profound little book.
  • Speaking American: How Ya'll, Youse, and You Guys Talk: A Visual Guide by Josh Katz--This is a fun one! It was so interesting to see the little differences of American English around the country. I wouldn't mind picking this one up as well for my coffee table. Great and fun info.
  • The Twisted Ones by T. Kingfisher--This one goes towards my folk horror in my horror reading challenge

2021-01-22 15.15.17


I'm still reading The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey (one of my winter reads) and am about halfway through. Really enjoying its slow pace and atmosphere!, The Warmth of Other Suns: The Epic Story of America's Great Migration by Isabel Wilkerson, and You Never Forget Your First: A Biography George Washington by Alexis Coe(for my Nonfiction Reading Challenge biography category).

Classics that I'm reading: Still working on Little Women by Louisa May Alcott. I'm enjoying taking my time here. It's been a long time and it's the perfect classic to read as the weather gets chilly and the holidays approach. I also started The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas for my 1000 Books Project challenge and my Back to the Classics 2021 Challenge (19th century classic).


Philosophy:
 We are reading The Second Sex by Simone de Beauvoir. It's not as technical as I was expecting. Lots of philosophy terms and people but I'm somewhat familiar with those and some of the denser parts on biology and psychoanalysis are parts I skim...lol

Listening to:

Slowly listening to On Immunity: An Inoculation by Eula Biss. It's good so far but I'm having a hard time listening to much right now...but I did listen to it on my way to and from the library which is about 45 minutes round-trip so I got a good chunk in! I heard about it through John Green's book club and it sounded interesting!


  Watching:

Movies:


I really haven't seen anything new but G just finished up the Hunger Games Trilogy by Suzanne Collins and so we watched the four movies last weekend and the weekend before! Still good! Since my son enjoyed the books so much, I have been wanting to reread them this year. Hopefully I can get to them soon.


TV:                           


Currently watching the new 4th season!


I just finished this one up and it was dark and funny and mysterious with a happy ending! (HBO MAX)


G and I finished the first season last weekend and are currently on the second. Fantastic series!


This is funny and weird and adorable and creepy...I love it!


Making: 

I made some inauguration day cupcakes. And I'm trying to make up some lunches ahead of time. I just made spaghetti squash bean bowls and they were delicious. I have enough for one more day!

Looking forward to actually finishing the ramp with paint this weekend and the Sundance Film Festival! It's virtual this year and I am taking advantage. I live close but I'm not big on crowds and parking is a nightmare and who do I go with? It's hard to get a group and DH is not a big fan of the movies I'd like to see...so a virtual festival is my dream! I'm so excited for next weekend. I've already bought my virtual tickets and know which movies and short films I'm going to see! 


Joining in with Readerbuzz's Sunday Salon


24 comments:

  1. I love that you had a celebration for the Inauguration! And yummy chocolate cupcakes with peanut butter frosting! My favorite. I was working from home that day and got to watch the Inauguration. Amanda Gorman was amazing. I'm loving all the Bernie memes on Facebook. LOL I hope you enjoy the Sundance Film Festival! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun day! The Bernie memes are killing me too. so much fun this week!

      Delete
  2. I'm terribly glad your mom is doing better. That's the most important thing.

    The inauguration was fabulous, wasn't it? I like your idea of balloons and champagne. I may have a mini-celebration next week.

    Speaking American and Boy, Mole, Fox, Horse were books I liked very much. I had a hard time enjoying fiction last year, but I did well this week, finishing and delighting in Miss Benton's Beetle plus Classic Club selection The Pursuit of Love.

    I will look into the virtual Sundance Film Festival. That sounds like great fun.

    Have a good week, Heather!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Speaking American and Boy, Mole,...were such fun surprises this week! Glad you are finding some great fiction reads. I'm trying to stick with stuff I'm sure I'll like. I want a great reading year if nothing else!

      Looking forward to the film festival!

      Have a great week, too, Deb!

      Delete
  3. It must have been an intense for Americans! I loved The Hunger Games books and movies. I hope you have another great reading week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad your mom is feeling better :) It's snowing here at this moment, but I'm afraid it's quickly turning to rain. I'm particularly ashamed to say I'm 55 and French and have never read Simone de Beauvoir. I just added her to my TBR, it's about time ! Not that I never wanted to, it just... never happened. Enjoy your week !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good! I've been wanting to read her for awhile now and I just read up on her and other existentialists and got fired up to read her works.

      Delete
  5. I hope your mother’s recovery continues apace.
    Cupcakes, champagne and balloons are quite the celebration!
    Have a great time ‘at’ the Sundance Festival

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! She's doing much better at home and hope she can keep healing.

      I'm definitely looking forward to the virtual film festival! Have a great reading week as well!

      Delete
  6. The Bernie Memes truly are hilarious! So glad to hear your mom is doing better. Continue thoughts and prayers! Those cupcakes looks yummy. Peanut butter frosting? Why haven't I tried that before?

    The Boy, the Mole, The fox and the horse is a gorgeous book. But yes, do get yourself a printed copy. It's worth it.

    Hope you will have a wonderful week!

    Elza Reads

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bernie memes are keeping me going, that's for sure! So many good ones. Thanks so much for checking in! I hope you try some peanut butter frosting with your next cake. So yummy. I do plan on getting a copy of The Boy, Mole book soon. Such a beautiful book.

      Have a wonderful week too!

      Delete
  7. Mmm, cupcakes. I love all the Bernie memes! My Twitter timeline is full of them. I hope you have a great week!

    Aj @ Read All The Things!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, the inauguration was excellent! We had a socially distant glass of champagne with our neighbors to celebrate that evening. The Bernie memes are SO much fun! There's a group text with all my siblings and parents, and they just keep coming.

    The Boy, the Mole, the Fox, and the Horse is such a beautiful book. I borrowed it from the library, bought my daughter a copy, but never got one for myself. Thanks for reminding me. I'll probably end up starting The Warmth of Other Suns tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Bernie memes! Yes, they keep on coming and they're gold. I hope you enjoy Warmth of Other Suns too. Just read a chapter last night. And she's such a great writer.

      Delete
  9. Yes, the Inauguration was an uplifting and encouraging celebration, and I hope the evil forces in our country can be held off for another 4 years! Cupcakes seem totally appropriate. I watched, but didn't think of special refreshments.

    be safe... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and yes the cupcakes were spot on for the occasion!

      Delete
  10. I didn't get to see the inaugeration ut I read a lot about it. We don't have TV feed so it's all news on the tablet for me! Love the Bernoe memes and I hope he was sorted in Ravenclaw but you never know where Bernie would end up.

    Love the cupcakes and I want one with coffee now. I read The Flight Attendent but didn't know there was a series. Wonder how they did that. Adding you to my book blog reading list as I am loving your reviews :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks! Bernie as Ravenclaw! Love it. I hope you get a chance to see it. I thought it was really well done.

      Delete
  11. Yeah the Inauguration was peaceful & good! I enjoyed the Snow Child and glad you're liking it. It takes awhile! I might look into the Sundance Film Fest, so thanks for mentioning it. About 3 years ago we went to the Festival and we had a ball in Park City ... it was a really good time and we saw interesting films ... so I like that it's virtual now ... I'll check it out. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your week too!

      Yes the Snow Child is a big one. But it's slow and peaceful and can enjoy it from that perspective. I hope you look into the Sundance Film Festival and watch a film or two. I'm loving it that it's virtual this year. That's really cool you went a few years ago. Glad it was a good experience.

      Delete
  12. You've reminded me I need to continue with WandaVision. We've only watched the first episode so far.

    I thought I was finished with Sabrina after season 3. I personally found it silly and disappointing after I loved seasons 1 & 2 so much. But then they announced season 4 was going to be the last one and my husband and I decided to go ahead and finish it. We just watched the second episode last night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WandaVision! So weird but it might be adding to the whole Marvel Universe thing and might introduce new alternate dimensions, etc so they can continue on without the oldies...or maybe even an intro to the reboot of X-Men...I'm so intrigued.

      Sabrina got a bit weird, I agree, after the second season. But I'm so invested that I'm sticking with it! It's still pretty weird...lol

      Delete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.