Wednesday, November 6, 2019

Nonfiction November: Week 1 Intro Post


I missed last week! Boo. But here it is a week late.

Take a look back at your year of nonfiction and reflect on the following questions – What was your favorite nonfiction read of the year?  Do you have a particular topic you’ve been attracted to more this year?  What nonfiction book have you recommended the most? What is one topic or type of nonfiction you haven’t read enough of yet?  What are you hoping to get out of participating in Nonfiction November?

Favorite nonfiction read of the year? Hands down it is Say Nothing: A True Story of Murder and Memory in Northern Ireland by Patrick Radden Keefe. A fascinating and disturbing look at humanity in general and the Troubles specifically.

My nonfiction reading has been all over the map this year. I've hit a lot of celebrity memoirs. I'm always interested in history and I had to read more about Chernobyl after I watched the HBO series. And science-based books also showed up.

Say Nothing and Chase Darkness with Me by Billy Jensen (this was an interesting followup to Michelle McNamara's book) have been on my list of recommendations this year.

I have not read enough history and feminism. I have a bunch of TBR books on U.S. history, world history, and feminism or books written by feminists, etc that I've been meaning to get to for a very long time. Also philosophy, specifically books about philosophers that kind of sum up their ideas and why they're useful.

I love Nonfiction November because I get a chance to reflect on my nonfiction reading so far this year. I get to interact with other nonfiction readers. And I get a ton of new recommendations to add to my ever-growing list!

Here's my list of nonfiction ranked from favorite on down since last Nonfiction November:

The Conquest of Happiness was definitely my least favorite nonfiction book this last year but the last few are mixed in with the juvenile nonfiction I read with my son as well and they were all pretty good. So the first few were some of my favorites and Russell's book was my least favorite.

Thanks to all who are hosting and participating! Yay!

2 comments:

  1. I LOVED Chase Darkness with Me!! Say Nothing:is one that I've been meaning to get around to as well. Awesome list!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved getting a different perspective from him as someone who worked with Michelle McNamara. Also his insight into crowdsourcing to solve crimes was fascinating.

      Delete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.