Monday, August 12, 2019

Mini Book Reviews: A Map of Days, All That Remains...

Time for another round of mini book reviews! Between traveling by car for 10 hours two ways and some vacation downtime, I read quite a bit this last month. And I haven't had the time nor the inclination to post anything recently...so here ya go.


A Map of Days by Ransom Riggs
Published October 2nd, 2018 by Dutton Books for Young Readers
Genre: Young Adult, fantasy, paranormal
Format: Hardcover, 496 pages, own
Rating: 4 stars

My Thoughts: 

This is the fourth book in the Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children series. I enjoyed this just like the others. But it's really a niche series now, in my opinion. It's getting a bit over-the-top. And I'm still slightly unnerved by the romance between Jacob and Emma...Let's just say she used to be in love with his grandfather 60 years ago and he's but a boy of 17? It's hard to come up with coherent stories when you're using old, creepy photographs to build from. But hey it's still a fun ride with all these characters!


The Weirdstone of Brisingamen by Alan Garner
Published Originally in 1960, Audiobook 2007
Genre: Young Adult, fantasy
Format: Audiobook, 6 hours and 19 minutes, own
Rating: 3 stars

My Thoughts:

I felt like this was almost a retelling of "The Lord of the Rings" and "The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe," or a very long Dungeons and Dragons game! But it filled the time for our long drive to Washington and it had all the great trappings of dwarves and elves and the Big Bad! Gandalf, I mean, the Wizard is there to help along the way. I thought the children would get more parts but they didn't. They weren't really essential to the story. They kind helped keep the story going and held the stone? I don't know. It was a weird, no-frills fantasy.


The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster
Published Originally in 1961, Audiobook 2019
Narrated by Rainn Wilson!
Genre: Young Adult, fantasy
Format: Audiobook, 4 hours and 41 minutes, own
Rating: 5 stars

My Thoughts: 

I absolutely adored this one! I had no idea this was such a classic. It's funny and crazy and has all the puns you can handle and then more. But in a good way! It's a smart kids book and we all loved listening to this on our long drive! It's one we'll relisten to again and again. And Rainn Wilson was the best narrator! He's a voice man and it shows.


Aru Shah and the Song of Death by Roshani Chokshi
Published April 30th, 2019
Genre: Juvenile Fiction, Fantasy, Myth
Format: Hardcover, 381 pages, own
Rating: 4 stars

My Thoughts:

This is the second book in the Pandava Quartet series. G and I both loved it. Great action and crazy characters and world-building, along with some lessons about friendship and second chances.


All That Remains: A Life in Death by Sue Black
Published April 15th, 2018
Genre: Non-fiction, Memoir, Science, True-crime
Format: Hardcover, 368 pages, Library
Rating: 5 stars

My Thoughts:

Sue Black fills us in on how she got started in forensic anthropology, her process, how they solve crimes, identify bodies, and handle all-things death. She tells us about her time in Kosovo and handling mass graves. It's heady stuff. I won't deny I shed a few tears throughout her memoir. I now want to go to Scotland and die by her university so I can donate my body to it and science! Read the book to find out why! Also, as one who has been surrounded by the dead her whole life, she has some pretty amazing insights into the human condition and Lady Death Herself. 


My Sister, the Serial Killer by Okinyan Braithwaite
Published November 20th, 2018
Genre: Literary Fiction, Mystery, Satire
Format: Kindle, 228 pages, Own
Rating: 3 stars

My Thoughts:

I love the cover. Gorgeous. I enjoyed the thoughts of Korede as she struggles to deal with her serial killer sister, Ayoola. It's a satire but I'll admit a lot of it went over my head. Topics of culture and gender roles and family loyalty all play out in this quick novel. It would be a great book club book to explore the issues with others.

2 comments:

  1. I love Phantom Tollbooth. It is one of my favs. I haven't read Map of Days yet. I felt like the 3rd book wrapped things up so nicely. What more could they add?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did wrap all up in the third but I'm assuming money was the prime motivator behind the continuation of the series.

      Delete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.