Monday, September 17, 2018

Week-in-Review and 30 in September Update-- September 17, 2018

Something has been going around in my son's school and area...whooping cough/pertussis. A lot of kids have been sick or parents are keeping them home as a preventative measure. Luckily, G only had a small cold from the previous weekend and was able to go all week! But I ended up getting a mild sinus infection. I think it's been aggravated from all the smoke from fires we've been experiencing here in Utah! Just a few days ago I could smell the acrid smoke and could hardly see across the street. We had a big windstorm over the weekend and it cleared a lot of it out, thankfully. But it's still burning.

G's school has a carnival fundraiser each year and has become quite a tradition in our family. This year was no exception. G got his face painted and tried out the huge plastic bubbles. I enjoyed the street tacos for only 2.50$. G's grandmother and a family friend visited this weekend as well and came along for the ride. G doesn't get to see DH's mother very often so it was really fun for him to catch up.

2018-09-14 18.08.01


2018-09-14 19.08.48


I also finished my first f-bomb crochet project. It's crap but I needed to finish so I could see a result and eventually see how far I've come as I keep going!

2018-09-15 14.09.23



And Sunday was family game night! Takenoko...always a fun one!

2018-09-16 18.46.26-1


2018-09-16 18.46.33-1



30 Books in September

Day 10: On Tyranny: Twenty Lessons from the Twentieth Century by Timothy Snyder-- This will be a classic. Snyder lays it all out with examples from fascism, communism, and Nazism from the twentieth century. Key things to look out for and ways to combat the destructive time we find ourselves in. It's one to keep on the shelves and reference often.

Day 11: Nimona by Noelle Stevenson-- This is an amazing young adult fantasy graphic novel. I loved everything about this world and Nimona. Read it. It's so good. There are a couple of really funny shark parts in this one.

Day 12: Seriously...I'm Kidding by Ellen DeGeneres-- I love Ellen! She's so funny and good-hearted on her talk show and everything else I've seen her in. She's a class act. But I did not like her book. It was boring. There wasn't anything truly personal in there and the jokes fell really flat for me.

Day 13: The Sand Warrior by Mark Siegel-- Another fantastic juvenile fiction graphic novel sci-fi. Can't wait for the next installment.

Day 14: Fantastic Mr. Fox by Roald Dahl-- My weekend ran away from me so the last few days have been very small books! It's cute but Dahl just isn't my favorite author.

Day 15: Sadako and the Thousand Paper Cranes by Eleanor Coerr-- This is a tear-jerker. I learned about Sadako and the Thousand Cranes when I lived in Hiroshima for a year. But I finally decided to pick up the English kid's story about her. It's tragic and sad but an important story to learn from.

Day 16: The Elephant's Friend and Other Tales from Ancient India by Marcia Williams-- I love all of Marcia Williams' graphic novels on classic stories and fairy-tales and myths. She's a wonderful illustrator and funny too. I enjoyed this one right before bed.

2018-09-17 10.20.07
Nala says hi!




2 comments:

  1. Hi Nala!! On Tyranny looks like one I need. I have never seen this game before but it looks like fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On Tyranny is a great one. I need to get the hard copy for the home library.

      Delete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.