Thursday, September 27, 2018

Week-in-Review and 30 Books in September Update--September 26, 2018

It's been a busy week! I meant to get this update out on Monday and here it is Thursday....

Finally made it out hiking on Monday to see some beautiful Fall colors in the local mountains with my friend Diana. It was gorgeous. It was rejuvenating and we enjoyed bathing in nature....and then on the way down the mountain we got a flat tire. But we were doing pretty good but someone stopped and helped us get the donut on. But it was worth it!

Happy Fall, everyone! I made my family celebrate with me this last weekend. I wanted to to an apple orchard and pick some delicious apples we could use to make something yummy. But the two farms we found were out of apples and were done for the season. So we hit the local store and bought some apples and made caramel apples. Despite the snag in celebrations we had a good time celebrating the coming of Fall!

Lake_Blanche_trail



Books Finished: See 30 books in September update below!

Books I'm Currently Reading: The Devil in the White City: Magic, Murder, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson. This is my third time starting the book and I can safely say I will definitely finish it soon!

Books Acquired: The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas are Setting Up a Generation for Failure by Greg Lukianoff and Jonathon Haight, Salt: A World History by Mark Kurlansky, The Family Gene: A Mission to Turn My Deadly Inheritance into a Hopeful Future byJoselin Linder, The Return: Fathers, Sons, and the Land in Between by Hisham Matar, The Thing About Jellyfish by Ali Benjamin, Fear: Trump in the White House by Bob Woodward. And two how-to crochet books from a library book sale.

Listening to: The Changeling by Victor LaValle, the podcasts Spooked Season Two from Snap Judgement and Lore.

Watching: I just finished up Dark Tourist on Netflix, Atypical Season Two on Netflix. I am finishing off the new season of Insecure on HBO. And I just started Maniac on Netflix.

Making: I made Fall pumpkin cornbread with homemade honey butter over the weekend along with pumpkin chocolate chip cookies and tortellini soup! I also made fry bread tacos yesterday and plan on Thai fried rice this weekend.

I also am honing my skills to make more f-bombs. I need them good enough I'll feel comfortable giving them away as gifts! I also hope to make some winter hats soon.

Looking Forward to: We're going on another fall hike this weekend. DH's friend has flown in from out-of-country and wants to do some fun things this weekend. We also plan on hitting a local dueling piano bar and get some drinks.

30 Books in September 


Day 17: Woman Rebel: The Margaret Sanger Story by Peter Bagge. I knew she was the one who started Planned Parenthood and got birth control going but I had not heard much else. This was a great graphic non-fiction novel about her life, warts and all.

Day 18: Nighty-Nightmare by James Howe. My son is doing his fall book report on this one and wanted me to read it so I could help him out. It was quick and is apart of the Bunnicula book series.

Day 19: The Death of Truth: Notes on Falsehood in the Age of Trump by Michiko Kakutani. Short and too the point. I enjoyed her quotes from the past and how she likens it to our present day. Lots to chew on.

Day 20: Little Leaders: Bold Women in Black History by Vashti Harrison. I loved these short histories of each of these amazing women.

Day 21: March: Book One and March: Book Two by John Robert Lewis and Andrew Aydin. The whole series is an amazing read. I thought I knew stuff but reading these three books made me realize how little I truly know about this terrifying time.

Day 22: March: Book Three by John Robert Lewis and Andrew Aydin

Day 23: Animal Farm by George Orwell. Orwell is a brilliant story-teller. It was sad and depressing but spot on.

Day 24: The Pearl by John Steinbeck. I enjoyed Steinbeck's use of non-white characters and culture in this short story but overall it was a bit preachy.

Day 25: The Halloween Tree by Ray Bradbury. DS and I loved reading this book together. Bradbury using prosodic language tells all about the history of Halloween and the myths and rituals surrounding death from around the world. All done with excitement, mystery, and adventure. I was very impressed.

2018-09-26 12.05.22

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.