Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Garden Spells by Sarah Allen Addison

Genre: magical-realism, Southern fiction, romance
FTC Disclosure: bought from Barnes and Noble
Published: 2007
Pages: Nookbook (176)
Content: PG-13 for swearing and love-making!

This was a great way to start the new year of book reading. I really enjoyed this magical story of two sisters with uncanny powers. I loved Allen's wit and charm and how she developed the relationship between the two sisters. It's a short story but it packs a lot of "magic" in that time.

This is a story of Claire and Sydney, exact opposites. They are both able to learn from one another and learn how to live life to its fullest. Of course, there are some snags along the way...but I really enjoy magical-realism. It's just normal for the two sisters to have some "power." Claire can whip up anything from her magic garden to influence others...their emotions, thoughts, etc. Sydney has a way with hair and her daughter has an uncanny way of knowing where things belong and they have a tree that throws apples, moves chairs, and can tell people their most powerful life event...it's a great story, full of love and magic and mystery.

Rating: 5/5

5 comments:

  1. LOVE the cover, and after reading your fab review I want to read the book. Am adding to my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this on my tbr shelf. I think now it's going to be next up in my reading list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you liked it! I look forward to it sometime, too. We'll see when it pops up in my hat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this at the beginning of last January and then read Cee Cee Honeycutt, and both turned out to be favorites. Glad you liked it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.