Friday, December 18, 2020

Nonfiction Mini Book Reviews: Stamped from the Beginning...


Stamped from the Beginning: The Definitive History of Racist Ideas
in America by Ibram X. Kendi
Published: March 8th, 2016 by Bold Type Books
Genre: Nonfiction, Antiracism, History
Format: Paperback, 592 Pages, Own
Rating: 4 stars

My Thoughts:

Ibram X. Kendi really lays out the evolution of racist ideas in the United States. He divides the book into five parts and focuses each part on five individuals who were alive during that time, or still alive as in the case of Angela Davis. And his main thesis rests on three categories of ideas and thus those that hold them: segregationists, assimilationists, and antiracists. His other thesis rests on the idea that policies were made such as slavery in order to make money and to hold power and in order to justify these policies racist ideas were sought out and incorporated into the U.S. narrative.

It's a bold book with bold ideas and leaves much to chew on and think over. Sometimes I found the sarcasm and eye-rolling mood of his book a bit off-putting but overall I enjoyed discussing and stewing over it all with my book club. It's a must-read book to gain an understanding of where racist ideas have come from and why America continues to hold them today.


How to Be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi
Published: August 13th, 2019 by One World
Genre: Nonfiction, Antiracism, Memoir
Format: Hardcover, 305 Pages, Own
Rating: 4 stars

My Thoughts:

I enjoyed Kendi's blend of his journey into his ideas of what it means to hold antiracist ideas and how that also crosses into all other aspects of social justice and intersectionality. Each chapter focuses on these ideas and how he learned about each and those that helped him along the way. He includes his own racist ideas that he grew up with and how he unlearned these ideas and how we can too.


A Velocity of Being: Letters to a Young Reader edited by Maria Popova
Published: December 14th, 2018 by Enchanted Lion Books
Genre: Nonfiction, Essays, Young Adult
Format: Hardcover, 272 Pages, Own
Rating: 5 stars

My Thoughts:

An excellent collection of letters to young readers from writers around the world. I enjoyed reading these aloud to G and giving him a bit of fire under the belly to read and write more! Also the illustrations that go with each letter are fun and whimsical. A beautiful collection and one I'll turn back to over the coming years.

1621: A New Look at Thanksgiving by Catherine O'Neill Grace and Margaret M. Bruchac 
Published: October 1st, 2004 by National Geographic Kids
Genre: Nonfiction, History, Juvenile
Format: Paperback, 48 Pages, Own
Rating: 5 stars

My Thoughts:

I really enjoyed reading this with G over the Thanksgiving break. We learned a lot about what really happened and the myths that still persist in the American psyche. We'd love to visit the live museum. So much to learn.


Autumn Light: Season of Fire and Farewells
by Pico Iyer
Published: April 16th, 2019 by Knopf Publishing Group
Genre: Nonfiction, Memoir, Nature
Format: Kindle, 256 Pages, Own
Rating: 4 stars

My Thoughts:

I loved reading through Iyer's ruminations on living in Japan and his favorite season in Japan, Autumn. Fall is also my favorite time of the year and it was especially beautiful and meaningful when I lived in Japan. While I don't live there like he does I could still feel his love and fascination with Japan. He has truly beautiful insights and way to see with his words. It's the next best thing to actually being there. This is probably one I will revisit every Autumn.


Almost American Girl: An Illustrated Memoir
by Robin Ha
Published: January 28th, 2020 by Balzer + Bray
Genre: Nonfiction, Memoir, Graphic Novel, Young Adult
Format: Paperback, 240 Pages, Library
Rating: 4 stars

My Thoughts:

Robin Ha's memoir of leaving Korea for America with her mother and without knowing she was permanently moving to America was heart-wrenching! She describes her childhood and how much she loved her neighborhood and her friends and to leave that all behind and not knowing when she would be able to go back was tragic. Her experience trying to fit in in Alabama and not knowing English and being bullied by students and even her own stepsister and stepcousins was also hard to read. But ultimately it's a story of finding your own and making the best of a bad situation. Highly recommended.


She Votes: How U.S. Women Won Suffrage, and What Happened After
 by Bridget Quinn
Published: August 11th, 2020 by Chronicle Books
Genre: Nonfiction, Feminism, History
Format: Hardcover, 240 Pages, Library
Rating: 4 stars

My Thoughts:

I enjoyed the short history chapters and mini bios of those pioneering women who helped fight for suffrage and those who continue to fight for social justice. Quinn does not paint all as saints. We hear about the racism from the frontrunner White women of the movements. I loved the chapter on Sojourner Truth. I learned that she didn't actually say "Ain't I a woman?" All the art in each chapter was beautiful and interesting. So many great tidbits in each chapter. It's a great starter on women's history in the U.S. with tons of sources to keep reading.

6 comments:

  1. I am very curious about the Maria Popova book. I love reading her thoughts about the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would love it! Beautiful letters from so many different writers, scientists, artists, etc who all love reading. I loved reading it with my son.

      Delete
  2. You've been busy!

    A Velocity of Being sounds delightful. I'll look for it.

    Your others sound intriguing too. Hopefully my brain will be more open to difficult subjects in 2021 than it has been in 2020. I haven't been able to focus on heavy topics very well at all this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Velocity of Being was really fun. I hope you enjoy it too! 2020 has been a doozy. We'll see how 2021 goes. Still so many unknowns. Enjoy your New year's!

      Delete
  3. Just put A Velocity of Reading on hold at the library. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.