Wednesday, August 14, 2019

Mini Book Reviews: Recursion, Fake Blood...

More mini book reviews! Yay! I've read a lot this summer. Go me!


The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides
Published February 5th, 2019 by MacMillan Audio
Genre: Thriller, Mystery
Format: Audio Book, 8 hours and 43 minutes, Library
Rating: 3 stars

My Thoughts:

It's a page-turner, or for me, an ear burner? It's quick and dirty and a fun twist. I didn't get it totally figured out but I guessed some of it so I can now pat myself on the back! Ha. Some of the character development was a little flat but overall it was a great summer "beach" read!


Recursion by Blake Crouch
Published June 11th, 2019 by MacMillan Audio
Genre: Sci-fi, Thriller
Format: Hardcover, 329 Pages, Library
Rating: 4 stars

My Thoughts:

This was a fun one! Crouch knows how to make very smart sci-fi thrillers. It got a little bogged down toward the end but overall it came together nicely. Another fun summer "beach" read. This would make a great movie and then a spin-off TV series. Seriously.


Fake Blood by Whitney Gardner
Published September 4th, 2018 by Simon Schuster Books for Young Readers
Genre: Juvenile Fiction, Graphic Novel, Paranormal, Humor
Format: Paperback, 336 Pages, Library
Rating: 3.5 stars

My Thoughts:

This was a cute coming-of-age story about a kid who fakes being a vampire in order to impress a girl in his class who is obsessed with vampires. The illustrations were great too. Enjoyed this one.


Monstress Vol. 1: Awakening by Marjorie Liu
Published July 19th, 2016 by Image Comics
Genre: Graphic Novel, Fantasy
Format: Paperback, 235 Pages, Library
Rating: 4 stars

My Thoughts:

It's gorgeously illustrated. The plot was a little hard to follow but there are talking magical cats in this one. So bonus. It's a thrilling fantasy with a complicated protagonist. I'm looking forward to the next volume.


The Time Museum by Matthew Loux
Published February 21st, 2017 by First Second
Genre: Juvenile Fiction, Graphic Novel, Fantasy
Format: Paperback, 250 Pages, Library
Rating: 3.5 stars

My Thoughts:

It's a fun sci-fi/fantasy graphic novel for middle schoolers. Plot is a bit convoluted toward the end. But it shows some promise. I'll probably pick up the next in the series. G also really enjoyed it.


Jukebox Joyride by Jacob Stein
Published June 6th, 2019 by First Second
Genre: Juvenile Fiction, Fantasy
Format: Audible, 3 hours and 31 minutes, Own
Rating: 4 stars

My Thoughts:

Another listen in our long drive to and from Washington! A music box transports two siblings back in time to help save their uncle and restore order. It wasn't fantastic but it was cute and exciting and it kept G entertained. So an extra star just for that!

2 comments:

  1. Monstress has been on my radar for a while. I need to get to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty good and intense. I'd love to hear your thoughts on it when you get to it!

      Delete

Thanks for reading my posts and for letting me know what you think!

Due to heavy spamming, I am now moderating all comments. Thanks for your understanding.